1. Entertainment

Bill Lamb

Mariah Carey's "Bye Bye" - Her 19th #1?

By April 8, 2008

Nothing is ever a sure bet to be a #1 hit, but it seems like Mariah Carey's new single "Bye Bye," the second from upcoming album E=MC2, is about as close as it gets. Co-produced by Stargate and co-written by Johnta Austin, one of the writers behind the mega-smash "We Belong Together," the song has a universal lyrical appeal and the instant feel of a Mariah Carey classic.

Mariah states the topic of the song upfront singing "This is for my peoples who just lost somebody." Loosely based around Mariah Carey's loss of her own father, "Bye Bye" has a universal appeal that may even bring some listeners to tears. Mariah is expected to perform the song Monday, April 14th on Oprah and again Wednesday, April 16th on American Idol.

Listen to this all but guaranteed major hit below, and let us know your opinion.

Listen to "Bye Bye."

Related link:

Single cover courtesy Island Records

Comments

April 8, 2008 at 11:33 pm
(1) Jake says:

This song is amazing! So emotional. First listen I realted to it right away. Mariah keeps the great songs coming!

April 9, 2008 at 12:10 am
(2) me says:

LOVE IT!!!

April 9, 2008 at 12:12 am
(3) Solostar1 says:

This song is FIRE…It’s going to be Mimi’s 19th #1…

Love it!

April 9, 2008 at 12:15 am
(4) lj says:

for sure,,its gonna be the 19th no.1 for mariah..i love the 2nd single and hope the 3rd single will be i stay in love or I’m that chick..the album is going to be the hit of 2008..i love all the songs and there’s a lot a potential single in this album..can’t wait till april 15..

April 9, 2008 at 12:19 am
(5) Daniel says:

This song is great. Classic Mariah!

April 9, 2008 at 12:25 am
(6) LC says:

Love it!! This song is amazing and I think that everyone will relate to it cause it ain’t just something for those that lost somebody…it’s for EVERYBODY. So excited for this to get out on all of the stations. Wishing Mariah the best year EVER!!

April 9, 2008 at 12:57 am
(7) vwayner says:

ATOMIC 19th No. 1 single…one number one away from tying the Beatles 20….
I can’t wait! Love this song

April 9, 2008 at 1:07 am
(8) Lori says:

She will not be singing “Bye Bye” on the Idol Gives Back Charity Show – FYI.

The Idol Gives Back show is coming up tomorrow (April 9th), for which her performance has already been filmed. She is singing “Fly Like A Bird” from her last album, The Emancipation of Mimi.

She will however be singing Bye Bye on April 16th on a REGULAR American Idol show, for which she is a mentor that week to the contestants.

April 9, 2008 at 2:52 am
(9) Allan says:

This will be her 19#1

April 9, 2008 at 4:04 am
(10) jannice says:

I’m not really a mariah fan, but i gotta say that’s one hot song.

Its sad, but it makes you move your body somehow.

April 9, 2008 at 8:23 am
(11) Evan says:

The comeback continues, as strong as she was in the 90′s.

April 9, 2008 at 8:35 am
(12) Derek says:

I’m sorry, I am a fan of Mariah’s music but this is We Belong Together with the beat from Irreplaceable with some synthesizers. I’m really getting tired of songs all sounding the same these days with Timbaland and Stargate (they make great songs but they are all sounding the same!)

April 9, 2008 at 11:05 am
(13) Salvador says:

I love this song. I don’t care if it makes it to #1 or not. It is already #1 in my heart. No one else could have written a song like this, or sounded so honest while singing it other than Mariah.

April 9, 2008 at 3:29 pm
(14) omps says:

getting tired of the we belong together rehashes!

“we belong together”
“i will hunt you down” from ‘touch my body’

and now ‘bye bye’

ugh! mariah? don’t you have anything more to give?

your sound hasn’t changed for a bout 10 albums now! tiring. boring.

April 9, 2008 at 11:11 pm
(15) lovin mimi says:

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it! People can say the songs sound the same but other people are lovin it. A comeback this year for Mariah in everyway!

April 10, 2008 at 1:12 am
(16) ajwab says:

It wont be number one, it will be top 5 and that will be the last single from her album that is a hit

April 10, 2008 at 1:34 pm
(17) james says:

The first time I heard this song, oh my God… She captured the essence of the song, very emotional, very heart felt and very beautifully sang. I love this song.

April 11, 2008 at 3:38 am
(18) Steven says:

The song has great lyrics but it sounds too poppy 12 yr old crap. The piano sounds great but not the beat, they totally killed it with the beat. They could’ve done a much better beat for the song. Her vocals are great i just wish you would’ve held her long note at the end of “bye………………….” much longer. And on top of that, the part where it says “this is for my peoples” sounds so ghetto! Way too tacky. I think that even ghetto people deserve better lyrics than that. She could’ve said instead, “this is for people who just lost somebody.” I’m just pissed that this album does not have any songs that sound like “I wish you knew” or “circles”. Those songs sound like the old mariah i grew up listening to. I am overall very dissapointed with her new album E=MC2. I will not purchase it for that reason but I am still a fan of hers. Man i just wish they could’ve done a much better job in producing the beats that don’t sound too ghetto but just right. That’s where her producers messed up.
Also, the fact that mariah is one of the very few talented singers in the music industry, her new album does not reflect it righteously. I’m 21 and my sister is 26 and we both grew up listening to mariah and now Mariah is totally different with her new material. The Emancipation of Mimi is way better than this new album for sure! In the end, Mariah will never target her market just right again!
Does anyone out there agree with me to some extent?

April 11, 2008 at 4:45 pm
(19) WALTER DEL ROSARIO says:

LA CANCION ES FANTASTICA ES INCREIBLE MARIA ES LO MAXIMO EN LA MUSICA RELAJA, AYUDAR A REFLECCIONAR, TE LLEVA A DONDE QUIERES ESTAR AMO AMARIAHA CARYE Y SU MUSICA Y LO QUE HAGA MARIAH ERES MI HEROE Y MUCHAS GRACIAS POR TU MUSICA. ESPERO QUE ESTES BIEN SIEMPRE Y ONDE QUIERA QUE ESTES Y VAYAS DIOS TE VENDIGA MARIAH ERES LO MAXIMO,BYYYYE.

April 12, 2008 at 1:12 pm
(20) Stephen says:

Mariah’s songs all sound the same. I give her credit for how great she has charted, and of course her amazing voice, but the girl is seriously lacking in creativity. I get the whole “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” thing, but real artists change and experiment (like everyone else). Mariah only seems concerned with racking up #1′s so she uses her tried and true multi-format style that ensures that she is played on many different radio stations and in turn shoots to the top of the charts. Many of her #1′s were not actually the best-selling, but were number 1 because of radio play (which is a charting factor). I feel sad for Mariah, because it has never seemed that she was actually in control of her career. I think that is part of the reason why she had that nervous breakdown. Hopefully sometime soon, the real Mariah will turn up and express some original creativity instead of this boring and trite garbage. For her sake, I hope this crap isn’t her true expression.

April 12, 2008 at 9:49 pm
(21) johntavious norman says:

I LOVE THIS SONG!!!…GOD THANK U FOR GIVING US A MARIAH CAREY!!!….AND FOR ALL THE HATERS..THIS (WILL!!) BE #19 AND MORE……..

April 13, 2008 at 12:54 am
(22) JCM says:

This is classic Mariah!!!!! It did bring me to tears the first time I heard it.

April 14, 2008 at 2:16 pm
(23) Holly says:

if this doesn’t hit #1, what will?
This song is a true successor to “Hero” – THE anthem

April 14, 2008 at 10:24 pm
(24) Sandy says:

This song is beautiful I had so much emotions build up and I’m flooded with tears. I just lost my Dad on my Birthday March 28, 2008 will the pain of missing my dad and the hurt ever go away. I miss him so much

April 15, 2008 at 1:19 pm
(25) hollie says:

Gorgeous song. Watching to see how fast it makes it to #1 and how long it stays. Thank you, Mariah, for another beautiful, chart topping album!

April 15, 2008 at 2:46 pm
(26) yvesmartini says:

ur right Steven,all that Mariah has invested on to E=MC2 is a bit too ghetto, too party way too R&B (not Soul-ish), and it lacks in strong ballads compared to Emancipation’s soulful yet strong ballads.

She might just wanna take flight with today’s hitmakers, thus Stargate’s uniform beat pasted to this song. This single, although really an upcoming hit (universal theme, a tearjerker put under a pleasant melody), is JUST TOO SAFE for Mariah’s caliber.

a less R&B-sounding and a more ballad instrumentation could have made this betterrr

April 15, 2008 at 8:58 pm
(27) alexia webb says:

Y r yall hatin? Its a beautiful song about loved ones who’ve been lost and live on in our hearts. Excuse the hell out os her if she wantd to give it a “happy” fell instead of the gloomy ass music that would make a person sad. DAMN!! And yes I agree this will definately be her 19th number 1!!!! then Side Effects will tie her with the beatles. U GO MIMI!!!!!!!!

April 16, 2008 at 11:40 pm
(28) Jazzyj says:

I love Mariah Carey : But Im not impresssed with ” Bye Bye” Mariah has an incrediable talent & she should use it to its full strength,i just think she could of picked a better single to release

April 17, 2008 at 3:07 am
(29) Steven says:

Thank you yvesmartini for agreeing with me. I think you analyze music like I do. Mariah does not sing in the vibratto anymore. In songs like “never too far” and “lead the way” are perfect examples of her singing in vibratto. Back to her “bye bye” single. I understand people can relate to it, they can become emotional, etc. But what I don’t understand is why the song’s beat sounds like crap? The lyrics are fine but not the beat! Overall, I understand why Mariah doesn’t sing as high as she used to? She can definitely sing high like she did in her glitter album but she doesn’t want to anymore. And I know for a fact she can sing in her old high tone because the last concert I went to was her charmbracelet tour in december 2003. She sang her christmas album songs like “joy to the world,” “hark the herald angel sings”, etc. and Man she sang her heart out. I was truly impressed with her vocal range aside from her high notes. She sang those songs 100% live. I didn’t go to her MIMI tour here in Los Angeles but I bought the DVD thinking it was gonna be just as good like her charmbracelet but man I was wrong. The Anaheim tour of MIMI sucked because her voice was not top notch that night. I understand she’s human and all but as an artist I’m assuming she would have wanted to release the tour show of MIMI that demonstrates her vocal capability when her voice is in top notch condition. The DVD failed to show that…….to some extent.

April 17, 2008 at 9:22 pm
(30) tee osborne says:

OFF THE CHAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 18, 2008 at 10:24 am
(31) Jeremy says:

This song is sure to climb up to number one, everyone can relate to this song plus with her amazing voice should be a hand down number one. i hope the 3rd single will be i’ll be lovin u long time or migrate.

April 20, 2008 at 4:08 am
(32) tearjerker says:

come on people… this song is beautiful… everyone can relate to it… but the beat its ok too… most of the beat of the songs today are just the same…

your always expecting mariah to sing that super high high notes way back before 1990′s… come on!!give mc a break.. mariah is a human not a robot…

April 23, 2008 at 5:58 pm
(33) fresh*t says:

Mariah is the queen-place no-one above her!!I absolutely love that song!I can relate too,afterall that’s all that matters.& 2 all those 2cent vocal experts out there who r so self righteous & caught up with the ‘ghetto beats’-give it up,ya’ll r fightin a losing battle!
& plz stop hatin on Mariah she makes a big in in some of our lives!!

April 24, 2008 at 9:45 pm
(34) Greg Price says:

Mariah, one of your best lyrics since your Dreamlover Album. When you look in the mirror, never say Bye Bye to us. Thank God, I had the opporunity to hear you in my lifetime!
This is vintage Mariah. Your the still the Bomb since 1989.

April 30, 2008 at 4:46 pm
(35) olivia says:

i love ur music but u dress like a slut

May 4, 2008 at 4:26 pm
(36) Tiffany says:

OMG!!! This is so weird. My 18 yr old friend was found dead and her funeral was today. I didnt get to go because I had to work, but as I was driving home and hour after her funeral, this song came on the radio and its the first time I ever heard it. Gave me goosebumps and put tears in my eyes…… Now theres a song with emotion..

May 21, 2008 at 10:10 am
(37) Jessicca says:

I really love this song…Its a great song…It relates too alot of people

May 22, 2008 at 7:05 pm
(38) Chauncey says:

This song has already reached the top 10 on my t40 chart. This is a beautiful song. “We Belong Together,” and “Don’t Forget About Us” are definitely bigger songs, but this one is gr8, as well!

June 3, 2008 at 5:49 am
(39) Charlie says:

I LOVE IT!
This song is going to be played at my Nans funeral on Wednesday because I think it somes it up and relates to everyone..
I’ve never been a huge fan of her music, but this really is a great track!

June 11, 2008 at 7:16 am
(40) Linda Truong says:

Too depressing, will never get to the top.

June 14, 2008 at 10:26 am
(41) Mia says:

A song is meant to connect & communicate to people be it 1 or many. Thats its sole purpose. I think a song like that did connect to many people….at least it connected to me. So i think she did a good job. Though i don’t disagree with the lack of use of her potential.But i think these days shes taking it easy. Not work so hard maybe…? Afterall she has been pushing herself all these years and its not easy to even come up with 1 Good album let alone so many. So maybe just give her a break.

October 30, 2008 at 7:06 pm
(42) nikki says:

this song brought me to tears. i just lost my father also. this song makes me feel like we are not alone in this world even celebritys go through hard times. i am proud of mariah she has kept her head up and is going strong. thank you mariah for showing me even celebritys hurt.

May 15, 2009 at 1:19 pm
(43) neryz says:

It’s kinda emotional…
but it brings out my feelings..
Thanks Mariah,you inspire me.
Bless you more! :-)

June 30, 2009 at 5:45 pm
(44) jerri gail says:

hey this is a good song when my papaw died i related to this song i love it and will keep lovin it i have the song on my phone its awsome and she lost her dad and u all dont have any respect thts relly rude and i love it maria ur great i loved ur songs sence i was 4 years old my mom would listen to it in her care and i rlly loved it i will allways looke up to u ur my role moddle