1. Entertainment

Bill Lamb

Charice Releases "Note to God" - Can Oprah Make a Pop Star?

By May 19, 2009

Any aspiring pop singer would certainly be happy to have the influence and support of Oprah Winfrey in their corner. However, will three appearances on the show for 17 year old Charice Pempengco in approximately a year and the help of the legendary talk show host in securing work with producer David Foster actually result in ongoing pop stardom? Last fall Oprah referred to Charice as "the most talented girl in the world." Yesterday Charice appeared on Oprah Winfrey's show to debut her first single "Note to God."

JoJo first recorded "Note to God" on her album The High Road back in 2006. The song was written by Diane Warren. Charice's cover version was produced by David Foster. Yesterday's performance featured a gospel backing choir. Charice brought the audience to their feet and Oprah Winfrey to tears. Today, the day after initial release, "Note to God" is inside the top 5 of the iTunes sales chart. Have the efforts of a television legend brought us an enduring pop star?

• Watch Charice sing "Note to God"

Photo by Ethan Miller / Getty Images

Comments

May 19, 2009 at 9:03 pm
(1) noellen says:

yes, Oprah will.. and charice will be a big star… thank you..

May 19, 2009 at 9:07 pm
(2) sheldonbuzz says:

She’s one of the best definitely. I love her voice, it’s so unique. Thank God for Oprah for supporting this girl, she deserves it.

May 19, 2009 at 9:07 pm
(3) ebjohns11 says:

yeah! She made us cry as well! huhuhuh

May 19, 2009 at 9:19 pm
(4) fernandosmyng says:

God will make a way for you Charice as always. Thanks to David, Oprah and the fans.

May 19, 2009 at 9:28 pm
(5) Sandra says:

Charice has an amazing voice. Thanks a lot to all the people who supported her and believed in her specially to the people that made her dreams a reality. Oprah, David Foster, Ellen, you guys are awesome!

May 19, 2009 at 9:28 pm
(6) thebigO says:

i would say yes! Charice is so much more talented than Miley or any idol wannabes.

May 19, 2009 at 9:42 pm
(7) jofer says:

Charice is going to be one of the biggest singers in the world. Her carrier single Note To God is already in the top 3 of Amazon and Itune best sellers.

May 19, 2009 at 9:53 pm
(8) tipenski says:

you betcha!

May 19, 2009 at 9:54 pm
(9) nencur says:

I would say definitively yes !!!
Oprah will and can !!
Beside Charice has an amazing voice.
We as fans is gonna help them make it ..
Just mark my words ,.her album is gonna take this world by storm !!!
just remember that I say that

May 19, 2009 at 9:56 pm
(10) Rebecca Shultz says:

Sure, Oprah can make a pop star. Didn’t she help make the president? But of course, who she helps must be cut out for the job, just like Obama, Charice can do the job while touching everyone’s emotions.

May 19, 2009 at 9:58 pm
(11) Nastasha says:

Charice’s Note to God peaked at no.1 in itunes & Amazon mp3 download

May 19, 2009 at 10:09 pm
(12) Gwen says:

Oprah undoubtedly will help Charice gain public attention but it will be her impressive talent that will make her the next superstar.

May 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm
(13) rc says:

Her voice is amazing.

May 19, 2009 at 10:25 pm
(14) connecticut says:

Time magazine in its issue of top 100 influential people said that Oprah made a President. Oprah also made KFC ran out of grilled chicken. Oprah + Hitman David Foster + Charice’s talent and charisma = Charice as a Pop Star!

May 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm
(15) sam says:

Surely…. Oprah will be there for her and make her BIG STAR!!! Even Superstar!!!!

May 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm
(16) marc says:

Charice has deep and pure unadulterated talent and a person of substance. I believe that she will not only make it big but endure as well as a pop star. Other overrated stars with just good looks and all hype likewise has the support and influence of say Disney. What’s the difference then? While both Charice and other overrated stars have strong backing and support, the difference is, Charice has a deep talent, the others have the superficial “good looks!”

May 19, 2009 at 11:46 pm
(17) Andrew says:

Actually, only time will tell. But she is definitely talented and a joy to watch.

But I really hope she becomes an enduring star… and in show business, 5 years is considered almost enduring.

It also is a big help to co-brand with these institutions…. OPRAH, DAVID FOSTER and DIANE WARREN. Some will listen to her just because of the three. It would then now be up to Charice to do her part of the job, and do her best to last in the business.

May 19, 2009 at 11:47 pm
(18) maria says:

Oprah is a believer of true talent…that is Charice… go girl! You are now realizing your dreams.

May 19, 2009 at 11:55 pm
(19) Emily says:

I absolutely think that Oprah and David never stops helping Charice because of the fact that they do not want her brilliant talent and personality to get wasted. Besides, this is what the little girl has always wanted to achieve for herself (including her family). Therefore, Charice truly deserves all the admiration, accolades and success in the world!

May 20, 2009 at 12:23 am
(20) greg says:

Wonderful performance. Is she crying while singng? OMG.
I’ve watched her giving justice to ALL of the ff songs:
I Believe
I have nothing
I will always love you
Power of love
All by myself
You’ll never walk alone
Dreamgirls
etc.

May 20, 2009 at 1:00 am
(21) hypenoy says:

Oprah and David Foster know talent when they see one

May 20, 2009 at 1:06 am
(22) migs says:

If the so called, “protege” has an A-1 singing talent to even begin with, YES SHE CAN! Oprah can make a popstar with the magic of David Foster & Diane Warren leading Charice’s talent to the right direction. Oprah can help breakthrough an artist by her influential power trancending into different cultures and surpassing the politics & stereotypes of the entertainment industry. In other words, a good singer just needs the right exposure. Now Oprah may not create popstars anually nor overnight. Like what David Foster said, a really good singer only comes around 10 to 20 years. That singer is Charice, who’s talent is undeniable. Her singing voice is worth fighting for! I can guarantee this to the author who wrote this article that there is no one in the world that can sing like Charice. Like what Paul O’ Grady said that she has a brand new singing style which we’ve never heard the likes of…

May 20, 2009 at 1:42 am
(23) MDR says:

Miss “O” has single-handedly taken Charice to superstardom w/out question. That’s how powerful she is. I noticed Charice did not get a single coverage/publicity from those hollywood bloggers who covers all the young up-coming Disney stars on a daily basis.(y’all know who they are!!) She just did 3 studio appearance on “O” + one video showing her duet w/ Celine + she sang at the Oprah after Oscar party + 2 shows wherein they talk about Charice, that’s it, A POP Star is Born. And not counting the tours w/ David Foster shows. Also its not a secret that Charice & Miss “O” has this deep connection that can only be made in heaven. Let’s all go buy Note to God on itunes/amazon and let’s keep the peace!

May 20, 2009 at 1:58 am
(24) Perry says:

Charice’s talent will speak for itself…

Her voice inspires & cannot be denied!…

May 20, 2009 at 2:06 am
(25) micca says:

If Disney can make popstars out of people who are 2nd rate, trying hard & out of tune, why can’t Oprah make a popstar out of someone who has the most amazing set of vocals?

May 20, 2009 at 2:14 am
(26) sambawhisk says:

One night I was out social dancing, the DJ played Michael Buble’s, “Save The Last Dance For Me.” Immediately came to my mind was when Michael sang that song at one of David Foster’s charity shows which made me think of Charice. Suddenly, I was a bit curious to see if any of these dancers even heard of Charice. Lo and behold, most everyone I talked with including men, remember her from her splendid performances on Oprah and PBS!!!

May 20, 2009 at 7:43 am
(27) leslie says:

Here is a real underdog and I guess Oprah knows one when she sees one. I’ve seen her story on youtube after I hot hooked watching her amazing performance on Good Morning America. All her life she has been fighting for a slice of fame which she rightly deserves by virtue of her talent alone but which a few people in position of influence in the music industry seem to ignore. Along the way – it has not made her bitter but even stronger. I can see a lot of those triumphant and humbling emotions shining through her performance in this note to god on Oprah. A realization of one of her dreams. This is so sweet.

May 20, 2009 at 9:16 am
(28) BermudaBoy says:

Hell yeah! Charice is gonna be a big star very soon.. her voice is very powerful and very soulful.

May 20, 2009 at 12:32 pm
(29) james says:

this girl had a very hard life in Philippines… I think it’s about time to get a little bit of appreciation from the world.

yes Oprah can make her a popstar… in fact she already made it.

May 20, 2009 at 1:23 pm
(30) rlf says:

Yes, what is not capable of happening never happened and what is capable of happenning will happen.

It is true Ms. Oprah and Cos. are behind all these things but Charice hardwork and talent will make every single things to happen.

She’ll be a legend like Edith Piaf!

May 20, 2009 at 1:34 pm
(31) dale says:

i almost crying when i finally hear the song, i got download it many times, i hope you do,for the chart song for charice.

May 20, 2009 at 1:42 pm
(32) Glenda Padilla says:

Definitely!!! I watched the Oprah show. Did you see the look on Oprah’s face? A face only a mother could give to a child. I can’t give the right words. There is pride, love, awe. And the advice she gave Charice,was to remain grounded or keep your feet on the ground even though she has better shoes, just like her.
Thank you Oprah for taking Charice under your protective wings. May your tribe multiply.

May 20, 2009 at 1:45 pm
(33) legendcha says:

Truly, it is not every day or every decade or every century or every generation you witness the marvels and wonders of nature.

in my generation, i can just pick a few names – celine, whitney, elvis, michael jackson – the biggest/legendary stars.

charice has sung songs that they have made grand, and charice made them her own. charice has touched every soul in all her live performances. not a single person will leave untouched!

she has not penetrated the world yet and like celine and whitney, it will take a little bit of time… but when that time comes, i will guarantee you, she’s not just going to be a pop star, but a resounding legend.

May 20, 2009 at 1:48 pm
(34) Ralph Newyear says:

Diane Warren wrote a note to god.
David Foster back it up with a wonderful arrangement.
Charice delivered it with soul,power and passion.

… and the world listened..

May 20, 2009 at 4:04 pm
(35) Jay says:

Of course Oprah can bring out the best of CHARICE, with the help of music legends like David Foster…She’s the next big thing in music… Go CHARICE !!!

May 20, 2009 at 8:34 pm
(36) tiffany white says:

Oprah will not make a popstar, she’ll make a legend!

May 20, 2009 at 9:09 pm
(37) Rich Guardian says:

Absolutely! She can sing and dance. She is a rare pure talent. Versatile–can deliver any form of song which may make a classic more classy and more life to cover songs. Let’s wait and see for the upcoming release of her 1st debut U.S. album thsi fall. She already proven it on a single. That single is just a “teaser”

May 20, 2009 at 9:34 pm
(38) Jeffrey says:

Thats possible!!! millions of vote from obama came from full support of Oprah… and remember Charice is so “far” the best LIVE vocalist,,, not even Mariah, Celine and Whitney Houston

May 20, 2009 at 9:47 pm
(39) toots says:

thats was owesome…

May 20, 2009 at 11:34 pm
(40) USAIDOL says:

Oprah and David can make anyone a pop star no doubt, but it would be Charice’s faith to God, talent and charisma that would take her to superstardom.

May 21, 2009 at 1:41 am
(41) frank says:

I hope Hollywood shall embrace such talent like Charice, compared to the famous singers nowadayys that sing too much about sex, violence, relationship break outs, desires, ect…Let’s keep requestiong her songs to all radio stations here in US and abroad!

May 21, 2009 at 3:10 am
(42) elle says:

i really wish that charice will be an enduring artist. charice, ganbare!

May 21, 2009 at 1:33 pm
(43) cesar says:

need i say more? everyone loves her and I love her too. great talent, charice is awesome.

May 21, 2009 at 7:19 pm
(44) ciony says:

yes charice is a big deal with amazing voice and very talented little one as David Foster call her,go Charice looking forward to buy your new album.

May 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm
(45) jagilawin says:

Charice is awesome.

May 22, 2009 at 2:11 am
(46) Teach'er in ny says:

Charice sang with the purest voice and emotion. She touched me so much I cried. God bless her.

May 22, 2009 at 2:34 am
(47) jonathan says:

I believe Oprah already did with the help of DF. No one can question her vocal talent. Charice’s voice is phenomenal. Since I watched her first international performance on Star King (Korea), I become so much addicted to see her live performances. Not only once but several times I am sure you’ll enjoy watching her performances. You can find them on YouTube where she was discovered. I never seen a performer who touches the hearts and soul of the audience like Charice. For me, she’s already a pop star and on her way to superstardom…

May 22, 2009 at 5:07 am
(48) jme says:

With all her achievement I am so proud of being a Filipina!!! Thank you charice! And also Thank you Oprah n Mr. Foster for supporting our fellow!

May 22, 2009 at 9:50 am
(49) gale says:

Charice is awesome! She will definitely be a star if she is not one already. Thanks to Oprah , David and of course to her God-given talent. Way to go girl!

May 22, 2009 at 12:25 pm
(50) john d. says:

No question about Oprah making a big star out of Charice. The girl has got what it takes. BUT she needs very very good songs, songs that would fit her voice, stle and personality. The way I see it, in the music industry, talent alone isn’t enough. Excellent songs is usually the vehicle that catapults an aspiring singer to stardom… “Note to God” is a superb start for Charice. This should be followed up with more…I’m a Filipino and I’m might proud of her!

May 22, 2009 at 3:02 pm
(51) beausoul7 says:

yeah! i believe she can…CAN!

May 22, 2009 at 4:02 pm
(52) everbming says:

As DavidF. said “it would take time to get to the top but with the help of a very influential person like Oprah, Charice will cut the time in half”. Charice is a phenominal singer with a pure heart. Peace!

May 22, 2009 at 5:39 pm
(53) Yani-chan says:

Definitely yes. Thank you Oprah! Ellen, David, and to all her supporters.

May 22, 2009 at 7:14 pm
(54) noel says:

the best vocal voice i’ve ever heard for a long time. definitely, Oprah and David can make a pop star especially if a person has a talent like Charice.

May 22, 2009 at 9:55 pm
(55) jonathan says:

When I watched her performance on Oprah.com, I was totally stunned and I couldn’t help it but kept on watching it more than a hundred times. Her voice is so powerful and soulful. She’s a rare talent. I can still hear her voice singing Note To God in my ears so perfectly sung. The lyrics of the song and arrangement is so perfect to be Charice’s first international song. Thanks to Oprah, David Foster, and to Diane Warren for bringing the best out this very powerful singer of our time.

May 23, 2009 at 3:39 am
(56) sweetpea says:

how can one ignore a talent like Charice’s. The voice that can send goosebumps, the voice that can reach the lowest and highest notes…the passion and dedication to make it. And with help from someone like Oprah…its not going to be easy, but with GOD’s blessing…nothing is impossible. No one can stop somebody else’s destiny. If its Charice’s destiny to be a pop star, then she will be for sure :-)

Congratulations to charice for her wonderful rendition of Note to God and to everyone else who made the song outstanding.

Buy her single in Itunes or Amazon…its worth it!

May 23, 2009 at 6:38 am
(57) Celia says:

I am a Filipina and an avid fan of Charice, I am not a showbiz fanatic but when I heard her voice I couldnt resist myself hearing her voice over and over again. I just wish, like what Oprah had said, that stardom dont change her character. More power Charice.

May 26, 2009 at 5:08 pm
(58) MJ says:

Charice isn’t even that great of a singer. With some help maybe she can be good but right now she needs to voice work. Her voice is strong on the long notes but the rest is messy. Stop giving her so much credit like she’s that great. please!

February 13, 2011 at 12:11 am
(59) shyne says:

hey??!! can u ask DF to have a duet with charice just for one time?? lets try to see what are u talking about..

May 27, 2009 at 4:31 am
(60) kv says:

Here is one of the more stirring renditions of a classic sung by Charice http://tr.im/mwMA in a local (PHI) netowrk for its Christmas ’08 special. It’s not all power-charged singing. The bottom line for all her performances is how much soul is in her music every time. Enjoy it. Thanks, Bill Lamb, for making this review available.

May 27, 2009 at 2:39 pm
(61) Diwata Sanchez says:

Note to God: Thank you for giving us Charise.

May 27, 2009 at 5:16 pm
(62) Charms says:

MJ, having said that “Charice isnít even that great of a singer” , you are right. I would have to agree with you AND that’s because she’s more than that. If there’s a word that can describe beyond a “great singer”, that’s her. To me, she’s really undeniable. Her charism of touching people and making people cry is rarely found in most of the artists that we have in this world. Not only few have testified about that but a lot of people. Most of Charice’s followers (including me) were not that what they call “fanatic” of a certain artist not until they/we saw and heard her sing.

Just wanna share this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZtyYGS5rGY&feature=related

May 28, 2009 at 3:01 pm
(63) Allen says:

MJ you’re correct. Technically speaking Charice is not much of great singer. True, she can belt powerful notes. But it is not the notes that makes a song, it is how the song touches you and makes you want to buy the single. I think Charice nailed this one and there will be more to come. God speed and best of luck.

May 29, 2009 at 4:01 am
(64) thes says:

charice is phenomenal !

May 31, 2009 at 11:41 am
(65) rusty says:

Charice joined in one prestigous singing contest in the philippines but she didn’t won, 0nly 1st runner-up. The judges looks on the appearance of the singer, the champion of that contest having a good voice & looks which is striking. That guy (winner) now an actor. But, look at Charice now, she’s popular not only in the Phils. but in the world. Charice keep up the good work. Oprah said that “Keep your feet on the ground” nothing is imposible in this world everything will happen just on the right time. We’re here to support you…….

June 3, 2009 at 3:00 am
(66) elrem27 says:

I have played her philippine album 100 times, i think the CD is already washed out LOL!

June 3, 2009 at 3:01 am
(67) elrem27 says:

I never tire listening to her sing, again adn again, almost non-stop during my waking hours. Charice is indeed undeniable!

June 5, 2009 at 4:28 pm
(68) jopsky says:

yes yes yes!
charice is a force to be reckon with!
i’ve never experienced a musical performance with raw emotions!
i got the message!
i was in tears!
everyone can relate to this strong!
each of us has had his/her struggles in life
i know i have.
this song has opened the wound that i thought had healed and realized and accepted the fact that its ok i can let go of the pain and forgive with GOD’s help.

June 6, 2009 at 8:41 pm
(69) hpl says:

Charice is Great! She has the talent of a great singer. However, success will depend on the song choices. Good luck on your first single.

June 7, 2009 at 12:00 pm
(70) Global Pinoy says:

Yes, she can! This girl is oozing with talent and charisma.

June 10, 2009 at 1:43 pm
(71) g.klaver says:

Yes in deed Charice is the most talented singer I ever hear .The most beautiful girl and also the most mature young girl .Can,t wait for cd to come to Canada love u girl

June 11, 2009 at 8:28 am
(72) Xavier Go says:

DEFINITELY!!

June 11, 2009 at 5:12 pm
(73) Marie Louise says:

With the help of people like Oprah and David Foster, Charice will indeed become a Pop star! She’s got an amazing voice! I’m usually in the edge of my seat every time I watch her. I don’t know why but that’s how I feel whenever I hear her sing. How much more if I hear her sing live? That would be awesome! Hopefully more people could support her. Especially a talent like this.

June 14, 2009 at 9:42 pm
(74) mike s says:

charice is the real deal. the fans everywhere love her.

June 16, 2009 at 8:41 pm
(75) victor says:

I always play Charice “note to God” and she’s incredible. superb performance. God bless charice.

June 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm
(76) brilz says:

charice is a true talent, no doubts. of course oprah , no doubts as well to make it happen, combined w/ DF and DW. Let us just see what will happen next to charice and difinitely (WE) the fans will support her to make it happen. And we are on our way we stared already. Charice, we are here for you.

June 17, 2009 at 4:00 pm
(77) Monkeydoggie says:

Yes. Definitely..!

Oprah will not make a popstar.! she will make a legend..

June 23, 2009 at 6:17 pm
(78) Jefrocks says:

She will make for sure make it because she has the talent, however, she is not given the chance to be heard in the mainstream airwaves here.

July 3, 2009 at 6:31 pm
(79) ciony says:

charice will make a queen of pop she has a talent and im one of the millions that so amazed with her voice,Charice as a fans we will support you all the way,God bless

July 3, 2009 at 6:34 pm
(80) ciony says:

Mabuhay ka Charice we will suport you all the way,God bless

July 3, 2009 at 6:39 pm
(81) KENJIJETRHOW says:

CHARICE is a Voice of SOUL , Voice of LOVE , Voice of HOPE , Voice of PEACE and Voice of UNITY,, NOTE TO GOD,,,,,,CHARICE the Voice of all YOUNG PEOPLE

July 8, 2009 at 3:12 am
(82) al214b says:

Charise is Already a Star!

July 9, 2009 at 5:24 am
(83) Ally says:

Charice is the future Celine Dion!
Just amazing talent. She knows how to deliver a song. Her song made me cry and gives you chills. I watched it over and over – it’s addictive!

July 13, 2009 at 6:06 am
(84) al214b says:

MJ and Allen you don’t know what you are writing so stop writing!

July 21, 2009 at 1:18 am
(85) carding says:

Let’s not go overboard – she’s only covering other people’s songs – she has not written anything original herself yet! She should also stop trying to do the “Diva thing” like Mariah and Whitney, and concentrate on her own style of singing – too easily do the Pinoy and Pinay imitate, not create.

She’s already getting big-headed and forgotting her roots, even when reminded periodically by her guru David Foster himself in condescending comments on her ‘life of poverty” back in the Philippines. They forget her two pushy parents (performers themselves) who got her where she is. Her first appearance on UK TV two years ago did little to change the view of the Philippines as a poverty-stricken, backward country. Embarrassing!

There are many others like her in the Philippines, some with even better voices, all seeking to gain the limelight, though few will ever get the lucky break to achieve it.

However, those that have, like Kuh Ledesma (once rated as good as Barbara Streisand) and Regina Velasquez have all flopped outside of a few Asian neighbours, and the Pinoy communities around the world. They can generate a crowd of 15,000 when they appear at a ShoeMart mall, but cannot sustain tours outside the region, even with the internet to spread their fame.

Perhaps those audiences want to hear original material, written from the heart, and not copies of cloying ballads written by others.

Good luck to her, but let’s see where she is in a few years time,

July 25, 2009 at 1:03 am
(86) robel44 says:

You are right, Carding. It is true that her current performances are songs written for and originated by others. But face it! Charice, with her God-given, phenomenal pure talent can and have in certain ways interpreted in her own style the songs sincerely coming from her heart. Hey, New York, New York was not an original Sinatra song, remember?

Yes, no original song is being performed by Charice YET! FYI, they are in the works. The songs in the album coming out in the fall are specifically written by DW and arranged by DF for her. And when the album is released, watch out world!! I fearlessly predict that Charice will light up the 2010 Grammys – Best New Artist; Best Single – A Note To God (maybe?)

August 16, 2009 at 4:28 pm
(87) JustAnotherFan says:

Charice is without a doubt 100%, going to be a global star. She has go the talent, the team, and she’s getting more and more beautiful each day. Just look at those promo pics. She will blend & stand out in Hollywood just fine. Keep up the amazing work Charice! We all can’t wait to hear and purchase your debut album THIS OCTOBER!!!

September 2, 2009 at 7:23 am
(88) hertzblaster says:

Charice got 101% support from Oprah and David Foster incuding his sister who is an executive at Warner Bros. The Note to god perforamnce will be replayed this Sept 2 at the oprah winfrey show.Her cd will be launched this fall. If the rumors pushes through, Note to God will be a title of a new movie. Watch her also in a cameo role as herself in Alvin and the chipmunks this dec.

September 15, 2009 at 4:37 pm
(89) aaron says:

To Mr. Carding I know your my kabayan and i sad to say that you are one of the reason why our country suffer, your way of thinking and character..grabbing the foot of one fellow filipino who working hard to achieve his/her goal is not a patriot way you just ruin the soul of our country.charice works hard for this fame without any help from his KAMILYA/KAPUSO,who actually ignore her..just like what you are doing now..leave her alone..i ashame to be your kabayan..

to charice you started my day with your song and you remain to my head even i was in my work…repeating and repeating..until i lay my head to my pillow
i never smoke….
i never drink…
i never take a drugs…
but now i call myself addict…
im addicted to you…
GO CHARICE…MABUHAY KA….

September 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm
(90) JANE says:

Like many people, I see a Charice in myself. I don’t see her as merely another “voice”, she is someone we can relate to, someone among us.Good luck, Charice!

October 2, 2009 at 3:56 pm
(91) Beth says:

At this point this girl is just annoying to listen to!! She only knows how to sing one way. She will never be a big star in the USA!!

October 7, 2009 at 8:11 pm
(92) junbernardo says:

charice your fantastic.your voice seems came from nowhere.keep up and the filipinos are behind you.

October 12, 2009 at 5:49 pm
(93) john says:

Beth (90), what exactly do you mean by ‘sing one way’?
Kindly elucidate please.

October 18, 2009 at 11:39 am
(94) Beth says:

For John: She is always yelling all her songs. I know many people who are annoyed at this.

October 21, 2009 at 3:25 pm
(95) barb says:

Yes! Charice is really amazing. She sung not only by heart but with whole soul. Thanks Oprah

October 25, 2009 at 12:50 pm
(96) apennyforyourthought says:

Beth…you’re just a bit too harsh…where is the bitterness coming from? I’m confident that in time, Charice will make it with her loud MELODIC voice reverberating in the musical halls across the globe… oh and yes including the US.

October 30, 2009 at 1:37 am
(97) John says:

How old are you Beth (post 93), Im just curious.

Anyway, if you say Charice is yelling, you might as well say that Whitney, Celine, Mariah, and all the other divas are yelling too.

The fact that you came back to this site (and other sites as well) says a lot about your less than noble intentions. If you don’t like Charice, it’s a pity that you’re wasting your time coming here. Better to stay glued to whoever your idol is.

November 4, 2009 at 7:51 am
(98) JustAnotherFan10 says:

Beth’s just jealous. Why on earth would she even waste her time coming back to this page after posting such a negative message. Just another crab. Apparently, she knows many who are already annoyed by Charice’s “yelling”. Well, I guess she hasn’t known the thousands if not millions who love her “yelling”. In fact, her “yelling” as you call it, has landed her a contract, a movie cameo, numerous guestings, a spot on a tour, and a chance to perform alongside legendary artists. Well, I guess her “yelling” has really become popular among so many people. Too bad you don’t like it. Oh well, you’re just a small minority. Charice is making it in the US and around the world. Deal with it.

November 7, 2009 at 10:27 am
(99) PastaBoy says:

That’s a beautiful yelling I ever heard!

November 9, 2009 at 7:07 pm
(100) legendcha says:

I suggest Beth to take a day off from work, and watch in youtube all the other performances of charice where she does not belt out. better yet, buy a cd titled ‘My Inspiration’, Beth willl come to know that charice is not all about belting. Charice as a child and even right now, has been playing exeptionally well with her vocal calisthenics, and has developed mastery over it. So yes, she can play her vocals from the lowest note to the highest, from all power ballads to the graceful and smooth songs.

Don’t be a quick critic when you have not done your homework!

November 17, 2009 at 9:11 pm
(101) Fly N Dance says:

Charice is a versatile singer..she can do pop, ballad, rap, r&b and soul..search her videos at big-e. (she sung covers but omg, but it looked like the songs were hers..halo, the climb, listen, somewhere over the rainbow..etc)

she’s normally singing belt-out songs because that’s what she’s really famous for, and people loved it when she belts..goosebumps..and fyi, it doesnt hurt your ears when she does..but amazes you more..

if david foster (u know who he is) gets tired hearing her, then he might not let her sing those songs over and over again…

December 1, 2009 at 5:30 pm
(102) Arjel Aerone says:

I never adored any artist as I do w/ Charice.Everytime I see her perform wether it’s on TV or YOUTBE, I always feel goosebumps.With some instances making me teary eyed.For me it does not matter where you came from and what you do.It’s what you do because of the reason behind it.It’s how you take each step of the road.That makes it worth it.Let us all be happy that someone like her can actually be a simple point of conversation or even someone who reminds us that for as long as we live there is hope.Thanks Charice and keep up the good or should I say the Amazing job!!!

December 11, 2009 at 8:47 am
(103) cardcrusher says:

For two years running, Charice has been singing the material made popular by the likes of Whitney, Celine, and Jojo. Charice has no identity of her own. She already has two albums, but she has not song of her own. Pathetic

December 17, 2009 at 5:31 am
(104) eh? says:

@102 cardcrusher

She only had ONE album produced in the Philippines. She will have her 2ND album early next year. Let me also remind you that making an album in the US takes a year or more. Just wait for it bb.

December 19, 2009 at 4:43 pm
(105) cardcrusher.wordpress.com says:

@(103) eh?

You’re wrong. The internet is helpful with these kind of things. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charice_Pempengco#Discography

Two local albums with no songs of her own. Why does she sing the material already made popular by others when she has two local albums out?

December 29, 2009 at 12:24 pm
(106) Dyseskytten says:

Cardcrusher: Its very common to do coveralbums in the phillippines. She had to get the attention of abroad producers and songwriters first and now that she have that, she will start to sing her own songs.

January 26, 2010 at 7:06 am
(107) crushed card says:

get out of here cardcrusher, you’re a loser. BIG LOSER. hahahaha!

February 4, 2010 at 4:56 pm
(108) lloydie025 says:

go Charice! Go Filipinos!

March 12, 2010 at 10:08 am
(109) cardcrusher.wordpress.com says:

It looks like Charice’s 2nd single is doing worse than “Note To God”. At this moment, it’s only ranked 975 and sinking fast. It was only released on February 23. What do critics have to say about that?

In addition, it’s now time to point out that a more catchy and mainstream single of Charice can’t get much traction without the help of Oprah.

March 25, 2010 at 2:01 pm
(110) friendofcharice says:

Can Oprah make a pop star out of charice? The answer is definitely NO!! What does oprah know about the music industry?! NOTHING!! Where is Charice now?? STILL scraping the bottom of the barrel and trying to get limited side shows around the US!! Especially, ever since charice ignored Ellen for Oprah, she has good downhill. Look at where Ellen is now, a perfect place for an aspiring singer!! She is going to be one of the biggest music producer after American Idol!! Too bad charice had to turn her back on this golden opportunity!!

April 3, 2010 at 1:43 am
(111) Tubig says:

We are waiting for your album …I already bought the Remix Version of Pyramid and with Iyaz….they are really great music to listen to,…as my brother has said to me that Charice is like the beatles from England …..the world loves Beatles and now Charice.

David Foster’s Songs stick to your body and Soul…Thanks David Foster, you are Genius when you see a Vocalist that will sing your Songs.

Can not wait…..

Before I forgot, I would like to Thank Oprah for having such a GREAT heart to help others…We Love you “O” (“O”prah and of course our beloved President “O”bama)…Keep up the Great work….

April 9, 2010 at 10:44 pm
(112) cardcrusherisanidiot says:

@cardcrusher is really a Charice fan. It’s always searching up Charice blogs & any information about her. It really loves her. Why else would it be on EVERY blog possible about Charice? CARDCRUSHER=CHASTER FOR LIFE!

April 12, 2010 at 4:10 pm
(113) cardcrusher.wordpress.com says:

@cardcrusherisanidiot
You make up speculations about me because you don’t want to admit that what I presented is true.

May 20, 2010 at 4:53 am
(114) john22 says:

@cardcrusher

Hmmm… You can’t make an established global star overnight, you know. Finally her album has come out. It has been doing fairly well for a debut album, I must say. You speak with so much bitterness. Where does it come from? As long as your opinion is objective, its ok. Your recent comments though, are far from objective.

“Charice” officially hit number 8 at billboard 200 charts recently. On its release, her album peaked to number 1 in itunes US and Canada and i think came inside the top 10 in amazon. Japan, who’s music industry is 75% dominated by domestic artists is even acknowledging her album even if the Japanese version of the album has not been released yet. I think her album is currently at number 10 in itunes Japan. Not too shabby.

For the die-hard Charice fans, it would be wise to mellow down a bit, you know. It might take a negative effect on the little girl. People would be expecting too much from your idol if you compare her to legendary singers and say she’s better. Remember that she’s still at the on-set of her career. Let David Foster and Oprah do all the hype. lol

As for the naysayers here, maybe you should try and hold back a bit. Many many artists have covered songs at some point in their career. And in all fairness, this girl really did well covering some classic hits. And also in all fairness to the people clamoring for her are not saying that “Charice is the most original singer in the world”, they are just saying that she has a wonderful voice.

But at the moment… I think Charice fans are up ahead… she’s doing well so far… Those are supported by facts, folks.

let’s all see how she grows in the coming years.

May 27, 2010 at 3:36 pm
(115) cardcrusher says:

@john22
I agree that a global star is not made overnight and that Charice has a nice voice. In addition, I also concur that her fans need to cool down a bit. With the way they are going around the net, they are sure to make enemies and haters.

Charice’s album and single is not getting much buzz. After placing 8th and 56th on the Billboard 200 and Hot 100 respectively, Charice is falling off faster than her management would wish. On the second week, the single is now 93rd on the Hot 100 and 28th on the Billboard 200. By next week, she won’t be on the Hot 100.

The single is just too boring and generic.

June 5, 2010 at 7:34 pm
(116) Tersia says:

Charice is a natural born singer, do not judge her, allow her to grow in her own time, if you cannot say good about this amazing girl don’t say it.
All the best girl, we love you from Sout Africa.
Dop not let anything stand in your way, believe in yourself!!!!!

July 10, 2010 at 5:45 pm
(117) cardcrusher says:

Charice’s album just dropped off the Billboard 200. Oprah has influence, but she can’t make a third rate clone of Jojo/ Jordin Sparks a pop star.

December 1, 2010 at 7:25 pm
(118) ttb says:

david foster’s faith in charice says it all