1. Entertainment

Bill Lamb

Kelly Clarkson Feuding With Ryan Tedder Over "Already Gone" and "Halo"

By July 25, 2009

When Kelly Clarkson's third single from the album All I Ever Wanted, the song "Already Gone," heads to pop radio in the next few weeks I forgive you if you have a feeling of deja vu. Apparently, however, Kelly Clarkson is not happy in the least about it. See, the new song sounds a lot like Beyonce's huge smash single "Halo." Both songs are co-written and co-produced by one of the hottest talents in the music business Ryan Tedder.

In an article published yesterday by CBC News, Kelly Clarkson explains her serious frustration with Ryan Tedder. She details how the pair met, got along great, and wrote multiple songs together. At that time Beyonce's album I Am...Sasha Fierce had not been released, and Clarkson's album was already in the manufacturing process when "Halo" made its first appearance on the Beyonce collection. Kelly Clarkson says, "No-one’s gonna be sittin’ at home, thinking ‘Man, Ryan Tedder gave Beyonce and Kelly the same track to write to.’ No, they’re just gonna be saying I ripped someone off. I called Ryan and said, ‘I don’t understand. Why would you do that?’”

Kelly Clarkson goes on to say she fought her record label RCA over releasing "Already Gone" as a single, and it is being released without her consent. In my humble opinion, a much better third single would be the fun title cut "All I Ever Wanted." Maybe that will be the fourth.

Photo by Johannes Simon / Getty Images

Comments

July 25, 2009 at 2:15 pm
(1) Be Real says:

That was not cool of Ryan Tedder to use the same track with Kelly and Beyonce– really lame actually.

The background track sounds similar between the two songs, but the melody, lyrics and vocals are very different. Already Gone is an awesome song due to these 3 elements, not due to the background track. I’m guessing the melody and lyrics were Kelly’s portion of the songwriting, since originality doesn’t seem to be Ryan’s forte.

July 25, 2009 at 2:45 pm
(2) Sususu says:

Kelly’s just frustrated that her album is tanking so she’s try to drum up publicity. She needs to get over herself, I don’t think this would have been a big deal but she’s making it a big deal by running her chops.

July 25, 2009 at 2:57 pm
(3) MikeyJ says:

Sususu, you’re crazy if you think she’s running her chops. What she said about people getting the wrong idea is exactly right. That’s what they would/will think…it’s great that she spoke her mind about it…she deserves that at the very least.

July 25, 2009 at 4:27 pm
(4) alyssa says:

I don’t know what sort of idiot would think her album is tanking. Its already almost gone platinum and was numer 1 for two weeks, all aside from the fact that her official tour only started two weeks ago.

And her asumption about people auto matically asumming she ripped of “halo” was exactly right. You should read the comments on you tube when the song was leaked before the album release. Thats exactly what people were saying. Personally I think it would’ve been foolish for her not to point it out.

July 25, 2009 at 6:36 pm
(5) Brandon says:

I’m glad Kelly’s speaking out about this. It is a rip-off that Ryan used similar tracks for both artists, and failed to tell Kelly (not entirely sure if he told Beyonce or not, if he did, shame on Beyonce).

The good thing about the situation, however, is that “Already Gone” is most definitely the better song, and I think it will still be a major success on pop radio. A much more relatable song than “Halo”.

Also, the article left out a small quote from Kelly on how she didn’t want to make a big deal about it, so to the person claiming she’s trying to cause publicity, you’re more than wrong. That’s the last thing Kelly wants. In fact she even said in the interview that she wished Ryan had said something out of respect for BEYONCE. If she wanted publicity, she’d try to take Beyonce down, which she didn’t.

July 25, 2009 at 8:30 pm
(6) B v Ks says:

I like that Beyonce just goes around screwing all the Kellies over.

July 26, 2009 at 1:46 am
(7) Cain says:

well, last time kelly was feuding with someone i was totally supportive but this time i’m afraid not. her team hired ryan tedder for the synth-heavy sound, so why complain about it? it’s ryan’s trademark sound and personally i think it fits kelly very much. btw, i don’t see much assemblence of halo in already gone, except the structure and maybe the synth.

July 26, 2009 at 2:34 am
(8) sassy says:

I love Kelly Clarkson, and her album. I cannot believe that Ryan Tedder would do such a thing to both artists. I don’t really know too much about the music business, but that is messed up. No wonder Kelly is frustrated with the situation. Shame she didn’t release it the way she sings it live. I think the version she sings live is better anyway. I think Kelly should release “I Want You”, “Ready”, and “Don’t Let Me Stop You” as singles. The entire album is so amazing. Whoever says it tanked is mistaken.

July 26, 2009 at 6:01 am
(9) J says:

Kelly Clarkson needs to stop being so overweight.

July 26, 2009 at 12:00 pm
(10) CCH says:

Beyonce knew. Beyonce heard Already Gone and demanded a track like that be written for her album by Ryan. Kellys album was originally planned for November as well, so it was already going to print.

However, Ryan Tedder did it on Kellys album another time… compare If I Cant Have You to Miley Cyrus’ Fly on the Wall. Kelly wrote both her versions and are far superior in terms of content. However, unoriginal of Ryan and hes proving himself a mediocre writer.. nothing special at all.

July 26, 2009 at 2:37 pm
(11) fudge says:

She’s right, people are gonna be like ‘Kelly just copied Beyonce’ because they dont read into stuff, they just take it for granted. And it was bad of Beyonce to ‘demand’ an almost copy track (so to speak), and rushed it out to get there first. I’m almost angry for Kelly.

July 26, 2009 at 9:19 pm
(12) rainbowwhitesnake says:

Halo sounds awful. Already Gone sounds like a classic.

ps: Sususu, you come off as an idiot. Kelly Clarkson’s new album is simply excellent and selling very well.

July 27, 2009 at 12:27 am
(13) AYE says:

Honestly, I don’t here that much of a similarity between the two songs, besides the fact that they’re in the same key. I don’t really like either song that much anyway. Already Gone is a bit to dreary and sappy. I think Halo might be a little better.

July 27, 2009 at 5:24 am
(14) Jane says:

When I first heard them I didn’t think they were THAT similar… They did have a lot of basic similarities in terms of structure (which could easily be coincidence), and then there were a lot of similar parts in the synth beats (the intros, the drums), but then I heard the vocals of Already Gone side by side with the music of Halo, the timing fit pretty perfectly. And really, the only main differences are that Halo had a piano and a busier chorus. But they do have different feels though. Already Gone as a whole is softer and mellower, while Halo is kind of preachy… which is why I think Already Gone is better. It has a nicer flow to it. I feel like Beyonce was the wrong singer for Halo.

I don’t think Already Gone will be hurt too much, but Kelly is totally right, the first thing that will come to people’s mind is “this sounds like a rip-off of Halo”. Ryan Tedder better watch out, people are already divided on his music, if he keeps up this shady stuff no one will want to work with him.

And I totally agree that All I Ever Wanted should be a single, and I would love to hear I Want You as a single as well. But if the label really needed a ballad, Cry is a great song too (my favorite). Maybe not as radio-friendly, but I don’t know why they HAD to go with Already Gone.

July 27, 2009 at 11:59 pm
(15) amazazing says:

Rumor has it that Already Gone was written waay before Halo and in fact it wasn’t just a Ryan Tedder song but Kelly also has some credits in the melody. When Beyonce heard it, she “demanded” a similar track. Wow, so disrespectful of Beyonce.

July 28, 2009 at 4:31 am
(16) dErfcire says:

The real story is Beyonce heard “Already Gone” and told Tedder that she wants a similar song, so Tedder gave her “Halo”. All the blame should go to Tedder for this, as a matter of fact critics love all the songs from “All I Ever Wanted” except for the four dreary songs Tedder wrote for the album, that’s why Kelly’s latest album was rated 3 stars (RollingStone Magazine)by some critics. Imagine if she did not work with Tedder, I bet Kelly Clarkson’s fourth album would really be great (greater the Breakaway).

“Already Gone” is a mile away better than “Halo” in terms of vocals and lyrics.

A song about MORTALITY (we were always meant to say goodbye)is much cooler and greater than a song about a good guy with a ring above his head-so cheesy and corny.

July 28, 2009 at 5:05 pm
(17) Justin says:

Both “Halo” and “Already Gone” have the same track as Leona Lewis’s “Better in Time”. And guess what- Tedder wrote that one too!! He didn’t double dip, he tripple dipped. What an unoriginal hack!!

July 29, 2009 at 10:20 pm
(18) Rose says:

CCH & Justin I think you said it best.

Tedder used the same melody multiple times, and when Kelly’s album came out nearly everyone who reviewed the album said Already Gone sounded extremely similar to Halo. So yes he’s a rip off artist and let’s hope people stop working with him once and for all.

August 7, 2009 at 8:50 pm
(19) Michael says:

If it was that big of a deal the song would & could have been left off either of their CD’s.. I don’t see THAT much similarity in the 2 songs. Already Gone is much better and fresher sounding than Halo. Hook ‘Em Kelly

September 26, 2009 at 1:02 pm
(20) Jazzy K says:

Regardless of whether it sounds similar I think KC’s song is WAY better.

October 18, 2009 at 3:00 am
(21) rhea says:

The tempo is different. And the only similarity I found is the drumbeat.

Musicians collaborate all the time. But sometimes I wish singers wrote the music and lyrics themselves.

March 19, 2010 at 1:50 pm
(22) Tiffany says:

I don’t believe Ryan Tedder meant to do it. He has a way of writing music and it just happened. It’s not the end of the world for Kelley.

March 20, 2010 at 10:14 pm
(23) Catie says:

Kelly sucks. Her music will mean nothing in about 5 years.

April 27, 2011 at 3:31 pm
(24) aaaa says:

i hate how everyone would always says kelly copied beyonce never beyonce copied kelly

June 3, 2012 at 3:15 pm
(25) One Republic #1 fan says:

Ryan Tedder said “I’m on vacation with my wife and I get a flurry of emails with links to gossip sites and media outlets saying “Kelly clarkson throws producer Ryan Tedder under the bus re: Already Gone” etc… saying that I copied myself or “pulled a fast one” on Kelly Clarkson. This couldn’t be further from the truth and the whole thing is absurd….however, I need to actually read what ‘s going on, make a call or 2, and be fully informed of it, then I assure you I will have a proper, respectful response. I don’t take allegations of this nature lightly- ESPECIALLY WHEN IT’S IN REGARDS TO ARTISTS I RESPECT AND ADMIRE. Nor do I let things like this go unaddressed. So, give me a minute, and I’ll say what really happened, or in this case, didn’t” happen.”

September 9, 2012 at 11:32 pm
(26) vadrudijeus says:

I enjoy reading this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing good knowledge

July 15, 2013 at 4:55 pm
(27) Caitlyn says:

Well then maybe she should learn to write her own songs…