1. Entertainment

Bill Lamb

X Factor USA Picks 17 Finalists For Live Shows

By October 18, 2011

As the judges' houses segments of X Factor USA came to a close with a narrowing of the field from 32 to 16, Simon Cowell said that he realized he had done something very wrong. I nodded my head in agreement at home thinking of his act of putting through both Simone Battle and Tiah Tolliver ahead of Melanie Amaro and Jazzlyn Little. Fortunately, in a final bit of drama on a show filled with it tonight, he visited Melanie Amaro's home in Florida to tell her and her family that she was being invited back in to a field of 17.

The elimination of Jazzlyn Little wasn't the only surprise on the night. I agree that young teen rapper Astro is cute, but Brennin Hunt, despite his arrogance, would stand a better chance with the general audience. I was also surprised to see the group The Anser go. Nicole Scherzinger seemed the only judge of the four who made the obvious choices in putting together her final set of acts for the live performances. Check out the complete field of live shows contestants below. The next round of competition begins Tuesday, October 25, 2011 with two and a half hours of performances. Results are then covered on Wednesday and Thursday.

Girls - Simon Cowell

Groups - Paula Abdul

• Brewer Boys
  • InTENsity
  • Lakoda Rayne
  • Stereo Hogzz

Follow Pop Music - Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Comments

October 19, 2011 at 12:28 am
(1) T. Heavey says:

Show tonight belew me out. They discarded the best and picked the worst. No reason for me to continue to watch this abortion. Could Simon Cowell be less likeable? Sitting on his couch like a Sultan with a harem. Disgusting…my heart bleeds for those overlooked.

October 19, 2011 at 4:55 pm
(2) T. Heavey says:

I can’t believe he picked Simone what a waste. Melanie is going to blow her out of the water with the viewers Votes. If the viewers were the ones choosing the top 4 it would not be this group…with the exception of Melanie. And the over 30…Nicole come on…u have got to be kidding me Dexter..I know the man is down…she is just setting him up for failure…that’s all. I am so dissapointed..

October 19, 2011 at 7:22 pm
(3) Paul says:

You think that voters would not have picked Rachel and drew? They have huge YouTube hits and it’s not at all surprising ad they seem quite beloved.

October 23, 2011 at 11:10 pm
(4) The Chairman says:

Agree! The funny thing is that she says she is fierce and crying all the doggone time. I wish them all the best however, Melanie will blow her out of the 7 Seas!!!

October 19, 2011 at 12:41 am
(5) lola says:

OMG WHATTTT ABOUT CAITLIN KOCH WHAT WHAT WHAT?/?? she was sooo good. and what the heck simone??? her vocals are forced. ughhh stupid simon yeah he’s definitely not going to get his precious 24 million viewers now

October 19, 2011 at 11:30 am
(6) TheSportsAuthority says:

First, I assume that everybody is basing their opinion on the edited versions of these singers and performers.

But Caitlin…I don’t get it. Boring. Not a performer. She can sing but it’s just average. The show is about finding a PoP star – it just is, like it or lump it. She doesn’t have the “X” factor.

And while folks can think (based on editing) that they don’t like Simone and Tiah…those two are light years ahead of Caitlin as stage performers. As is Crow. As was Tara.

Drew and Melanie get it because they have voices that resonate. Caitlin, while good…don’t get me wrong…but she was the most obvious choice to get cut with Jazz being second, mostly, due to the inconsistency of her pitch.

Her judge’s house audition was all kinds of out of pitch.

October 19, 2011 at 1:59 pm
(7) Davies says:

Agreed. Even though she has a wonderful voice, her performance was dull. Simon was right in kicking her out.

October 20, 2011 at 12:51 am
(8) Pearl says:

I agree. I can’t stand Simone, Tiah, and also Astro. IMO Dexter should have been eliminated during the first cut. He has a sad story but this is a competition and should not be considered. He does have a nice voice. With a stylist, vocal and dance coaching, hopefully, he will improve.

October 21, 2011 at 9:38 pm
(9) concept says:

it’s about finding someone who can become a truly great relevant artist, not necessarily a pop star. it could be a rocker, a rapper, a jazz vocalist, it is not limited to just pop. sadly however, generic pop and country are all america seems to want these days. truly a sad thing.

October 19, 2011 at 5:41 pm
(10) angelica says:

i wish with all my hearth no one tune in to watch the crappy bulls@#$$% show… simon suck , all you four so call judgess me make fookin sick ,fake asses …. battle forget the lirics of a song don’even have what it take to porfame and you pic her over MARY J BLADE …sorry ass

October 19, 2011 at 12:45 am
(11) JB says:

I fully agree the Big Pasha Simon picked two of the worst and sent home a probable “World Star”!!! I lost a lot of respect for him as he seemed more concerned with his ego and trying to prove he is right.

October 19, 2011 at 1:19 am
(12) vivien says:

Why did Paula eliminate ANSER?

October 19, 2011 at 1:22 am
(13) CS says:

Soooo disappointed! Dexter over Tiger Budbill and James Kenny? What about the Anser. What’s the deal?

October 19, 2011 at 1:27 am
(14) The Chairman says:

Agree with you about Dexter. Tiger and James were great. But, the Anser…naw,. One thing for sure, most of those final 32 will get gigs and some will get contracts regardless and the Anser will be one of them, I bet ya.

October 19, 2011 at 3:17 pm
(15) Crak says:

James Kenny got screwed he was the best! Dexter is a James Brown wannabee.

October 19, 2011 at 1:23 am
(16) The Chairman says:

All of them dropped the ball on one or two of the chosen. Simon, Reid, Nicole but Paula probably did the best; however Nicole have the winner in the palm of her hands with Stacy Francis. Not one of those singers can match her voice, style and ability to touch the crowd. Yet, you gotta love Drew and Rachael. Those young girls can sing their butts off. Interesting to see what happens.

October 19, 2011 at 4:08 pm
(17) D says:

What the hell are you smoking? LOL Paula singlehandedly screwed the show over and Stacy Francis isn’t anything special compared to Elaine Gibbs, Tiger or James. Drew shouldn’t have made it past bootcamp I don’t get why they love her so much. Rachel is the only one I agree with. This show is going to drop in ratings for sure, the choices they made were absolutely absurd.

October 23, 2011 at 11:07 pm
(18) The Chairman says:

Lol. I smoke Newports! At least we agreed on Rachel. I still think they all dropped the ball-including Simon, Nicole and Reid. I dont even remember Elaine Gibbs, and don’t hate on Stacey Francis, her voice is marvelous. There isn’t much to rave about this season. Maybe the next will be better.

October 19, 2011 at 1:37 am
(19) Bob says:

I didn’t get to see Melanie come back, because I turned off the tv when Simon told her no. With his ego, I’m a little surprised he knew how to do the right thing.

October 19, 2011 at 5:01 pm
(20) Denise says:

Bob, I did the same thing…when he told Melanie she did not make it… I switched channels and told myself that I was not going to watch this show…then low and behold I went back and saw him in the limo talking to the camera and saying that some of this associates and staff were asking him what the hell was he thinking letting Mealnie go…then he went to her house and gave her the good news..She is going the blow them away. I really don’t like the girls, except for Melanie.

October 19, 2011 at 1:54 am
(21) TG says:

Wow. Simon totally f’d up tonight. If his talent as a judge was being graded tonight, he wouldn’t have made it past the auditions. He needed to drive north from Florida to Buffalo NY to correct another mistake. Then, fill up the tank and drive west to Tucson where he needs to make another apology about being on drugs tonight. What a wanker.

October 19, 2011 at 2:05 am
(22) Terra says:

I can’t believe that simon even THOUGHT about getting rid of melanie. I disliked most of Simon’s choices, along with Paula’s. Paula chose that country girl group who didn’t even harmonize, along with that disney channel quality kid group instead of 4shore and the anser. I mostly agreed with nicole and L.A. But i do know this episode brought me great disappointment.

October 19, 2011 at 9:25 am
(23) Robin says:

I agree 4sure was great I loved them..I was very dissapointed in Paula’s decision. They were the only ones I seen having a chance winning..Can’t believe she kept the two young boys!!

October 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm
(24) Amazon1 says:

I am so glad Simon brought back Melanie,I honestly don’t think I would have watched anymore if he hadn’t. The Answer was awesome,don’t know how they got sent home when the group of like 20 got to stay…????
I think Paula did the worst job than any of the other judges. LA and Nicole were pretty accurate in their choices as far as picking the best.

October 19, 2011 at 2:14 am
(25) fire15 says:

Imo, some weaker singers were picked soooooo,it would
Be easier for judges to pick the the great ones in
The end…make sense?… anyone on me with this?

October 22, 2011 at 5:19 pm
(26) waitingforsunshine says:

It’s not the judges. It’s america’s votes. Welcome to AI2

October 19, 2011 at 2:22 am
(27) beverly says:

I would have been broken hearted if Josh hadn’t made it through. He is the only singer I’ve heard in YEARS that gives me chills throughout the entire song. Amazing voice, amazing spirit. I’m thrilled I can hear him sing on ….and on…

October 19, 2011 at 2:32 am
(28) Jenny says:

I was extremely disappointed with Simon’s decisions, I think I can understand but can’t why he chose Tiah and Simone, this sho is about the judges making them into stars they will mold them, and work with them. Tiah and Simone are easier to mold, than Jazzlyn and Tora if you think about it Jazlyn is great but I think Simon doesn’t see her as being anything better than what she already has given, and because she’s so nervous how will that translate on the Live shows. Remember this is NOT American idol stage presense is very key standing on one spot won’t get you anywhere. There are alot of people who keep saying bu that person has a better voice. This is the X-factor again not American idol, singing is only a part of the whole not the whole. If you think about it it makes sense because most singers out there, really suck at singing you have a few that actually can sing but a few. So I mean it also makes sense because notice how people who win American idol don’t even make it in the industry I have like 3 that have in a 10 year history that’s poor. I think the x-factor looks for the Lady Gaga or the Rihanna, i don’t know but that’s the only way I can wrap my mind around Simon’s decisions. There has to be a buy in if Tiah and Simone make it far, and there is none so really, there was no point putting them through, but you have to respect what Simon and LA Reid do, that we don’t understand I’ve never signed anyone to a record so who am I to judge the professionals.

October 19, 2011 at 2:41 pm
(29) Student says:

I agree with you about Simon taking Simone & Tiah and molding them and it seems to be the premise of the show, that something, the “X Factor”. But will the viewers tune in? I will not and after reading a lot of threads today so are a lot of other people.

One thing is for sure, Simon has a lot of $$. Why else, would he blow $5M on a recording contract for some mediocre talent (except Melanie and couple others).

Too bad for Brennin, Caitlyn, Tiger, Tora, and of course, Jazzlyn, I’m sure they’ll land a contract somewhere. If I had Simon’s dough, I would sign Brennin and Jazzlyn immediately and would be willing to bet more they wwould have a better music career than the eventual XFactor winner.

October 19, 2011 at 4:25 am
(30) cathy says:

Thank goodness Melanie Amaro was brought back. When I fast forward to see if she made it after Simon had hinted……and saw that she didn’t, I shut it off and was not going to watch the show anymore, went online to leave a comment and found out YEA -she is still on!!!!!

October 19, 2011 at 4:35 am
(31) Dukebluedevil says:

Could it be that the producers have something in mind for those better singers eliminated? Why put them through long months of competition when they can work with them and market them now?

October 19, 2011 at 6:35 am
(32) sc says:

it’s a ploy. simon wanted to bring 5 girls onto the live shows. he can’t just do that right away.

October 19, 2011 at 9:21 am
(33) Robin says:

Simon is great!!! He knows what to look for obviously who are you all to judge..smh..I mean he has definately earned his name. He can be mean, but have you heard of healthy criticism!!!

October 19, 2011 at 9:59 am
(34) Iv says:

Robin,

You are absolutely correct. Simon knows what he is doing with the exception of Rachael Crow. They should send her straight to Disney, because she is not match for the other singers and will probably do well on Disney or Nickelodeon. Don’t get me wrong, I love her personality and she seems to be a sweet kid, but I just think she should not have been picked over Melanie or as a finalist.

October 19, 2011 at 10:20 am
(35) Keyes says:

I agree Simon makes millions I think he knows what he is doing..I did not like Nicole choice of the guy I think is Dexter..i think they are feeling sorry for him because he is homeless…smh…the other guy who was left at the end was way better or the other lady singer…

October 19, 2011 at 10:21 am
(36) Sallysuelee says:

I completely agree about the whole Disney bit… she has the most amazing, unfazed, honest personality to be an instant hit on Disney… why aren’t we in the biz? oh well

October 19, 2011 at 11:05 am
(37) Harlem2140 says:

Are you crazy..melanie is triple threat cute, great voice, and tons of personality that even obvious to you by your disney comment…. Bottom line simon made and corrected his mistake… We all can find fault with some of the picks the judges made.. But Melanie is a no brainier

October 19, 2011 at 9:49 am
(38) Fred Pfeffer says:

Come on. Don’t you think Simon knew what he was doing when he cut Melanie, then brought her back. It’s all about the ratings. All of the judges made some horrible choices. Dexter over Tiger?? Are you kidding. XFactor, you lost this viewer.

October 19, 2011 at 9:53 am
(39) Golden Ear Managment says:

EACH JUDGE- made one BIG MISTAKE each last night !

Boys- Brennin Hunt is way better than Brian Bradley.
Over 30′s- Tiger is a much better singer than Dexter.
Groups- 4shore blows away the Brewer Boys.
Girls- Jazzlyn Little crushes Simone Battle.

They made these choices for TV Ratings, NOT because of
superior singing ability. Brian, Dexter, and the Brewer Boys
will make better TV than the others. If Jazzlyn was such a
“world star ” and just 16, isn’t this exactly what Simon claimed
to be looking for all along ??? Simone has an attitude and forgets entire songs’ lyrics ! The whole saying NO thing to Melanie Amaro was the BIGGEST JOKE of them all !!!!

She is in the driver’s seat to win the whole thing, and has been since the first time she opened up her mouth to sing !
Standing ovation, judges crying, chills on your arms. Whitney Houston’ish in her prime !

Again, it’s all about the TV Ratings and not a thing about the true talent here, people. Please remember that sad fact. :(

October 19, 2011 at 10:26 am
(40) Shelly says:

All of the judges with the exception of L.A.Reid made horrible choices. Let’s start with Simon………picking Simone and Tiah over Jazzlynn and Caitlyn was a HUGE mistake. Then to not pick Melanie to begin with was unthinkable. Simon is only thinking of himself with his huge ego and not the talent of these girls.

Next, Paula…………..what is she thinking picking those disney kids??? What group to do you know that have 10 kids in it…….nobody. The Brewer boys remind me of the Jonas brothers but minus 1 brother.

and Nicole………..Dexter???? REALLY???? Over Tiger who had one of the best voices. Nicole says that she is following her heart and not her head. Well Nicole, if your reading this, every person who sang for you has a story. What makes Dexter story any different then Tigers story? If you felt that bad for Dexter then you should just have him move into your big mansion and give Tiger the spot.

These judges were not looking for the best singers/performers because they totally missed the mark in picking the best from their groups. Totally disappointing and I am officially done watching the show.

Good luck judges but I think L.A. Reid will be the WINNER with Marcus Canty!

October 19, 2011 at 10:32 am
(41) Carl says:

Brewer Boys are BORING! Ain’t hatin’ on them, coz they can sing, but please please PLEASE – 4Shore or The Anser not through!? – and you put unexciting dweebs like these through!? Paula clearly ain’t one for making decisions… or GOOD ones!

At least Simon flew over to make a mends with Melanie Amaro when he felt he screwed up, but Paula really feels no remorse? She should go see a shrink to say the least. Fact.

October 19, 2011 at 10:46 am
(42) Reg says:

Simon is picking who he likes to look at not their talent. Simone and Tiah over Jazzlyn Little, come on Simon. Simone could not remember the words, they wore a bikini for Simon. He had to beg to get Tiah so you know he is trying to prove a point. This guys ego is out of control along with his hormones. Best wishes to Melanie and Josh.

October 19, 2011 at 11:10 am
(43) Fred says:

Come on, Simon knew all along what he was going to do with Melanie. It’s all about the ratings. The name of the show should be The Pity Party. If you have a good sob story, you’re in. I’m OUT.

October 19, 2011 at 12:19 pm
(44) seta moubayed says:

So disappointed, Tiah and Simone????????

what the hell is wrong with Simon !!!!!!!!
I always respected Simon’s decision, but this time, I dont agree with him.
And to choose Dexter over Tiger????and Leroy over Elaine Gibs????? come on, what’s wrong with u Nicole?

October 19, 2011 at 12:47 pm
(45) Eva says:

Tiah? Simone?! What the hell happend to Simon’s judging?!? I thought he was looking for talent over there and not for (and I quote) “annoying” wannabe singing cheerleaders…
Bring back Tora!! I love that woman, her voice and her energy.

And Dexter?! Ah come on! Yes, poor man, but still he can’t sing! I’d like to see Elaine back there!!

October 19, 2011 at 1:16 pm
(46) Gina says:

Jazzlyn blew everyone out of the water. The idea that Simone is in it and not Jazzlyn is absolutely NUTS! I’m done with that show. You blew it Simon!

October 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm
(47) MM says:

I’m with you Gina. I turned off the TV after Simon told Jazzlyn she was eliminated. I won’t be watching the rest of the series.

October 19, 2011 at 1:16 pm
(48) Gina says:

October 19, 2011 at 2:21 pm
(49) Midge says:

I am dissappointed with the show. It seems like it is more about the judges than the performers. And soo much repitition and then the amount of ads. But then it does give me time to read my book while they are on. American Idol is so much better.

October 19, 2011 at 3:13 pm
(50) John says:

I cannot believe what I saw on this show last night and I can assure you I will never watch it again. Just like AI the most talented will not win. I don’t understand LA Reid and the fact that he listen to anything that Rihanna had to say. How sad, BRENNIN HUNT the most talented of all the top 32 was cut I guess because he would win, thought that was the point. Hey Rihanna, Justin Beiber comes to mind when I think of CORNY and BOY BAND, not Brennin Hunt a real man. X-Factor USA will end after this crap I guarantee it!!

October 19, 2011 at 3:24 pm
(51) SAM says:

Yes, I agree with all the comments. Simon really screwed up. Simone sucks. When he hesitated in giving Melanie a yes or no, I laughed because it was obvious from her vocals that she is “The Best Female Singer” and was going through…………but when he said she wasn’t, I literally jumped off the sofa and started screaming!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good thing she is back because I wasn’t going to watch the show after that. And Dexter!!!!!!!!!!!! Paaaaaaaaaleez!! Give he a place to live, not a spot on the show……….not Tigers spot anyone…….

I am very upset with the show, especially after waiting months to see it for this nonsense. Americal Idol is so much better.

October 19, 2011 at 4:15 pm
(52) Bill says:

Unreal, Simon admits that Tiah performed unsatisfactorily & pitchy, but chooses her over Jazzlyn who was flawless … bogus call

October 19, 2011 at 4:20 pm
(53) KS says:

Some right some wrong. I have pretty much agreed with Simon all the years of Idol and much respect to the man but last night made me think he is losing his mind! Rachel over Jazzlyn? Are you kidding Simon? Jazz is more of the entire package. Melanie has a great voice but seriously where is the X factor? Paula Paula Paula… What were you thinking? Intensity? 4shore was robbed. Throw those kids on Nick and be done with them. If they are even good enough for that. What a waste of a pick. Sigh. I will continue to watch for my girl, Drew representing AZ , and a few others I like. Wish there was a do over though.

October 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm
(54) chickc says:

These judges must also consider good television stories in each contestant for viewers to follow. Chris is a recovering addict struggling to make it back to a real life, Dexter used to be homeless, Josh is a burrito maker struggling to do what he was born to do, Stacy has been mis-treated, recently lost her father…etc…will they make it? And will we vote to help them get there.

Oh we Americans love helping people up and making underdogs heroes. Those kind of stories and backgrounds help sell records. Get the point?

Now, assume for a minute that someone like Melanie wins. She’s a good church-going girl from a nice family with a heart of gold and a great voice. She has a simple story, not complicated.

She’s hard to market. Is she a possible pop-star? Not really. Not in an industry where Lady Gaga rules the roost. Melanie’s not a “bad-girl”, not overly “sexy” and probably would do best in the Gospel market. But the Gospel market is no where near the size of the pop market. And that’s what they need. That’s what’s worth $5million.

They know they’ll make their money back off a bad girl like Simone or Tiha, a pathetic rags to riches rise of Dexter, a recovering drug addict like Chris that is a sorta Eminem/Smokey Robinson, a cute little girl with a grown-up attitude, a smart-ass rapper who inner city kids will relate to.

No need to get upset. Its called marketing. Thats the X-factor.

October 19, 2011 at 8:39 pm
(55) Sherie says:

I agree 100% with u chickc! That is exactly what x factor is all about.

October 19, 2011 at 5:23 pm
(56) John says:

I can’t believe Simon did not pick Jasslyn and Caitlyn. In all of the auditions he always said they were looking for the BEST singers. The above two were certainly two of the best. I will no longer watch the show and just wait for American Idol.

October 19, 2011 at 10:29 pm
(57) Ola says:

Trust me, American Idol isn’t any better. They all sell to the same audience.

October 19, 2011 at 5:59 pm
(58) ucfpengbuck says:

Attention Dexter and others who think like him. There is a lot in between a 5 mill contract and being homeless.

October 19, 2011 at 6:46 pm
(59) hatersmakemefamous says:

we all hve to be staright out we all knoww tht the obvious winner or who might win is Chirs Rene

October 19, 2011 at 7:13 pm
(60) Jillywilly says:

I think Simon has lost his mind. I always agreed with him on American Idol, but when he chose Tia and Simone over Caitlyn and Melanie, I couldn’t believe it. The final 5 should have been
Melanie, Caitlyn, Jazzlyn, Rachel and Drew. What is his obsession with Tia. Simone’s attitude is so unappealing. Good luck to both of them getting votes, they’ll need it.

October 19, 2011 at 7:19 pm
(61) christina says:

Seriously.. Simone and Thia ???? Simon just likes their gaps!! All This did was sing the same words over and over…that is superstar status?? Come on. Horrible top 4 on his part and if he could go add Melani he should have added Jazzlyn too…she so deserved it. Boring show now, not interested anymore and will never buy any of their stuff because this show is wack

October 19, 2011 at 7:28 pm
(62) Lynn says:

Jazzlyn Little was ROBBED!!! She was amazing and certainly had the “star quality” I THOUGHT they were looking for!!! The TV went off after she was sent home!

October 19, 2011 at 7:44 pm
(63) Doc says:

It would be easier to read everyone’s comments if they spoke in complete sentences, worked on their spelling, and proof read what the just wrote before hitting ‘enter’.

With a few exceptions, most of the singers and groups sang well and performed well. It would be difficult for the judges to choose just 4 of 8 based on voice talent alone. Since you can’t pick all 32 and everybody seems to have a different favorite, the comments above ring out. The same thing happens with all the other reality TV talent shows so why not the X Factor also. Overall (except for Paula’s classroom of kids group) I thought they did well in their decisions and since I’ve never signed a superstar I have to trust their call. I will keep watching the show because it is entertaining. Don’t be a baby and stop just because your favorite got kicked off.

October 19, 2011 at 9:03 pm
(64) Kirk Spencer says:

One thing everyone is forgetting, There must be a 5 million dollar return on the investment. A lot on hungry artists will tell you that have learned their lesson when record companies were relivant…
When a record company signs you to a contract and you get up front money, You pay that money back!
Not necessarily directly but indirectly. Two bad words that can lead a new artist to direct failure is called a “development deal.”
If you watch many of these “singing talent shows” you see these artists that have had failed deals in their past before for various reasons.
Like when they either got ignored by the record company for the next big thing, budget issues, bad management or the company could not find the proper genre for the artist.
Then they show up on these shows.(One example is the tattooed arm female rock singer with the aussie accent that was recently on American Idol.)

October 19, 2011 at 9:09 pm
(65) Kirk Spencer says:

This is a 5 Million dollar recording DEAL, Not a 5 million dollar prize or sweepstakes. I keep hearing these contestants saying their life would change, Buying family houses, cars ect and wont let these judges down.
LOL You better not let yourself down!
You pay the muscians, for the cast, crew, directors for music videos and musicians, and producers for your recordings. Travel, wardrobe, Maybe not as big a deal for getting your sound in the stores with digital stores(Before it would have been record/cassette now just cd manufacturing).
Oh I forgot, if you want a hot new song and you cant write it…..You pay songwriters big bucks.
Paying a hot radio ready producer like Bruno Mars/Jayz/Kanye West/Pharrell(Neptunes)/Jazzy Phi/Rodney Jerkins or an established torch song writers Diane Warren/Micheal Masser/Babyface(Forgive me as I am behind on the game so the names have changed but the game is still the same) or country writer Byron Gallimore a grip!
TLC found that out when Dallas Austin and Jermaine Dupri prices went sky high after early sucess with them and other artists.
Nothing is FREE. This is NOT a tax free lottery prize, lol.
The PRIZE gives you an opportunity to live your dreams and make a lot of money, Way much more than the 5 mil IF YOU ARE GOOD.
The best bet for all the ones not chosen with legit talent? Go Indy. Sell your own music from websites or tune corp/itunes/emusic. You have more control of your success and you wont be easily in debt and if you’re good hopefully you wont go broke. And if you’re great then you reap all the rewards.

October 20, 2011 at 2:08 am
(66) chickc says:

You’re not exactly correct. The $5 million wining prize will be a cash prize paid out over 5 years. The prize is not a $5 million dollar recording contract. The record contract is separate. They will also be providing financial support to help the winner manage their money.

It’s the biggest guaranteed prize in TV history, and whoever snags it will also get a recording contract with Cowell’s Syco label, a joint venture with Sony Music.

October 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm
(67) Devin says:

there is no way Dexter should have made it

October 19, 2011 at 9:55 pm
(68) Jaquez says:

That aint Dexter. Thats James Brown Jr from Madtv’s Cabana Chat. Nah….Dexter was on there too.

October 19, 2011 at 10:00 pm
(69) Gary says:

Ha ha Madtv Cabana Chat with Miss Dixie! Dexter St Croix looks just like Dexter! http://youtu.be/FqejzFAHnqI

October 19, 2011 at 10:16 pm
(70) Ola says:

People get off the case of poor Dexter, he is there to get a chance like the others. All the singers were pretty good, I don’t envy the job the judges had to do in eliminating them, it was hard, but someone had to go. Remember only one will win, so more will be eliminated as the show goes on. May the luckiest win I say, because whether we like it or not fate has already selected who will bank that money. Just relax and enjoy the show. Most of them will make it (get signed) or get back to surviving like they’ve done in the past or get inspired to move on to better things.

October 20, 2011 at 12:23 am
(71) Olpuppy says:

LeRoy Bell in the over 30 group really impresses me. His song writing is famous.

October 20, 2011 at 12:42 am
(72) Starr says:

I don’t like the selection of: Astro, Dexter, Tiah, Simone, Brewer Boys,

October 20, 2011 at 1:55 am
(73) Kenny says:

Does anybody really believe the charade about the Big Mistake? Seriously? So they take one of the most, if not THE most, obvious girl talent and send her home, only to have Simon “realize” he had made a big mistake. Come ON, is America really that gullible?

Until two of the top 3 girls were sent home, I was certain the winner would be from this group.

As to groups, I fast forward through them. None can or will win this.

Boys? Oh well. Nah.

Over 30′s. Nope. BUT … If the people vote for the winner, and if the boomers would get fired up for the 60 year old, they would overwhelm the teens and in the eyes of the producers and SIMON, ruin this sham of a show.

October 20, 2011 at 5:33 am
(74) Marlee says:

I was so happy when Melanie was brought back. She’s an incredible singer and definitely deserves it. However, Simon should have sent Tiah and Simone home. Neither one of them can sing! Simone has a cocky attitude and she can’t back it up vocally. She forgets lyrics and just makes a fool of herself. I’m still convinced she should have never made it past the auditions. Jazzlyn or Caitlyn should have been put through over those two.

As for Paula, I’m so disappointed that she chose that ridiculous numbered group over 4Shore or the Anser. I loved those other two so much more vocally. They worked well together. The huge group? They’re gonna get cut real quick. As for the Brewer Boys, they’re nothing special. I get bored watching them perform and listening to them sing. I don’t like them at all. Paula made a huge mistake letting those two through.

As far as I’m concerned, L.A. Reid made a huge mistake with Astro. He’s too young to be in the industry that he wants. He cut the country boys for not having enough diversity, yet has Astro done anything more than rap? No. Send the kid home.

Nicole… Nicole… Nicole… ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Dexter is nothing more than a copycat! Every single time he performs he’s constantly imitating someone else. He is never himself and never shows that he has potential. Even Nicole said that she went with her heart and not her head on her choice. Doesn’t that mean anything to anyone?! James or Tiger should have been allowed into the four, not Dexter. Every single show he reminds us that he’s homeless. He reminds us that he has nothing if he leaves the competition. THAT BOTHERS ME! Boo hoo, you had a terrible life and have nothing to show for it anymore. Sorry, no one cares. If you can’t sing, the industry will eat you alive. Sob stories aren’t going to sell out concerts. Get a reality TV show and leave.

I will continue this show as long as Drew, Rachel, Melanie, and Phillip are in it. Without them, I’m done.

October 20, 2011 at 6:18 am
(75) JOANNE says:

I would love to know what happens to all those unlucky to get through. I just hope that their lives change for the better and I wish them all well.

October 20, 2011 at 7:24 am
(76) Randy Hill says:

It seems that the Judges Homes was a waste of time. This all could have been done at boot camp in front of a live audience so that they could voice their opinion of the judges picks.

October 20, 2011 at 6:34 pm
(77) trinna says:

Ok first of all i dnt know why everyone is shocked about the selections, the judges picked people they believe is going to get votes.simon is nvr gonna change u either love him or hate him and minus his mistake with melanie amarro which he did fix he chose people that will get votes do to either their likability and being relatiable or their voice.tiah and simone might not be the strongest singers and most obvious choices but they do comand the attention and stage and i believe with work they will get votes.i personally liked jazzlyn over tiah but she wasnt ready she was too shy but she’ll be ok she has a beautiful voice.and for simon u got to realize this is all a persona we never met this dude foreal i believe he feels he has to act the way he does for effectivness and its worked so far.paula team has no chance of winning her choices compared to the rest of the judges does not compare.l.a ried and simon has the strongest teams with l.a 3 out of 4 team members and simons 3 out of 5 members.and nicole might have a chance with her 2 powerhitters if she can buid their
confidence and stage pressence.and for all the haters of the show its cool dnt watch the show already has a built in strong folowing and i think its gonna succede.just sayin!

October 20, 2011 at 7:54 pm
(78) Jack says:

Even the idea of dropping Melanie Amaro was stupid. Why does Simon simply get to change the rules? He should of had to drop someone he told was going on and had only four girls instead of five. As far as people calling in to vote for their favs…remember good old Simon gets the lion share of each and every phone call. Figure about 5 million dollars per episode when the public votes. I say …. don’t call…make him pay his own bills. With his lousy decisions I don’t think he should get paid. By the way…the official rules say….no one, but no one shows up with kids under the age of 5 for auditions at any venue. Check out all the videos of Stacey Francis’ audition and the two kids she had it tow. I sure don’t think they are 21. So how bout those rules….any room there for disqualification?

October 20, 2011 at 8:58 pm
(79) Redwine12Roses says:

I have never liked Simone, I like confidence, not arrogance. she forgot the words at boot camp and does not deserve to move on. Tiah I think has ant incredible voice if she could manage to stay on key. I think Simon sees something in her the other judges (and I) just don’t and she moves on as a confirmation. I am happy with all the other picks now that Simon corrected his mistake and added Melanie who deserves to be there most of all. I originally wanted Jazzlyn Little until I found out that her whole “I’m so nervous” was more than likely a guise to win fans over as she has competed and won beauty pageants and you can not lack confidence and do well on that circuit. I think Paula sent the real talent home, opting to go with thrown together groups over seasoned groups like 4shore who stood out above the rest. Nicole went with her heart rather than her head and also sent the real talent home. This is not a pity party it is a talent search. All in all the best decisions were made by L.A, Reid.

October 20, 2011 at 11:02 pm
(80) jessie says:

AARGH…why simon why? simone? honestly? and i think nicole should have picked christa…dexter…i know he’s had it bad but christa was better…and this show isn’t really about being ompassionate. it’s about who’s the best singer. and dexter isn’t.

October 21, 2011 at 1:11 am
(81) Shan says:

I think the groups category could have been completely eliminated. No real talent coming from them. It was a given that the 2 groups the judges created would have to go through. Most of the boys under 30 could have been eliminated, also. I think all of the girls should go through, with the exception of Simone, and all of the over 30′s with the exception of Christa and Dexter. Fill those 3 slots with Chris Rene, Marcus Canty and Brennin Hunt and I think you have the best talent.

October 21, 2011 at 3:07 am
(82) Kobe says:

Did anybody see Nicole’s white panties when she went to hug one of the over 30′s?

October 21, 2011 at 6:12 am
(83) Joshua says:

I think that what everyone fails to realize is that this isn’t just a singing competition. Its a competition to be a artist that can sell records. You have to have the look, the uniqueness, the background, and got to have something different that stands out in the crowd. Their are tons of people that can sing but it matters on what sells. I do agree that some people that weren’t let in was a horrible choice but I mean i do believe alot of these people caught my eye and stood out with a uniqueness in there voice or the way they performed. You forget performance has so much to do with being an artist. You got to have the it factor in there . If all you can do is just sing I personally am not going to listen whole heartedly.

October 21, 2011 at 6:12 am
(84) Joshua says:

October 21, 2011 at 7:07 am
(85) dessy says:

so upset why is somone battle dere whe is caitlin simon so dissapointed i dont even like siomone shes too big headed i hope she goes in the first live show den simon u would realise of wot a mistake you have made well dont to the other judges wud ave loved to see the ansers dere aswell so happy dexter is dere woah

October 21, 2011 at 8:47 am
(86) Sassy Analyst says:

Simon -he owns the show, so he gets 5 singers intead of 4. He also has the hots for young thin black singers. Hence, Simone and Tia in, Jazzlin and Caitlyn out. Other singers were chosen for their entertaining back stories, rather than talent. Eg. Dexter being homeless. Sometimes judges get it right and sometomes not.

October 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm
(87) NCBeauty says:

The show is like all shows. It’s for rating. Tora should have been in there. She can sing and perform. Simon might be hitting her on the side and she will get her 5 million + like that.

October 21, 2011 at 12:01 pm
(88) NCBeauty says:

October 21, 2011 at 12:04 pm
(89) NCBeauty says:

OH yea, come on everyone. Why are we picking on Dexter. He is no worse choice than some of the others. Give the man a chance, there is a market for him somewhere

October 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm
(90) RANDY HIGNITE says:

You know Im hearing all these comments and nobody is talking much about Tim Cifers hes a great singer I love R&B and Soul but to round out the showand have better reveiws they should have some other genres such as bluegrass, country, funk, rock, R&B Soul, and then their audience would be better numbers and country is huge even if its not my favorite style of music Tim Cifers is going to be a Mega Star one day because he does have what it takes! He has a tone in his voice that is hard to imitate.

October 21, 2011 at 5:11 pm
(91) roger morris says:

seems like y6our basing it on social issues rather than talent.
throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

October 21, 2011 at 5:20 pm
(92) Irene Armstrong says:

I cannot believe Jazzlyn Little was sent home and Simone went through. Jazzlyn made that song her own and it was fantastic! All Simone has going for her is that she looks like Sunita who Simon just cannot move on from! Simone has no range in her voice, no power. Jazzlyn had such great potential Okay there were some pitch issues but hey Simone had clear pitch issues. Wsa really dissapointed with the groups as well. Thought The Anser and 4Shore should have gone through. Can’t believe Dexter went through, obviously for the sympathy vote.

October 22, 2011 at 4:16 pm
(93) Tachalla says:

X Factor Finalist ***USC song girl Simone Battle has joined the American Society of Composers Authors and Publishers. Her first ever video, for her self-penned tune, “He Likes Boys,” made its world debut last night at Mickey’s in West Hollywood to a very enthusiastic and mostly male crowd.” Van Peebles, was in the house and declared, “Simone is a little spitfire, who can act, sing, dance and play guitar.”

October 23, 2011 at 2:06 am
(94) LUSCIOUS says:

fuk dat shyt

October 23, 2011 at 2:17 am
(95) LOLO MAMAW says:

WAT THE F**K WAT THAT ABOUT!!! HOW CUD FUCKIN PAULA AND NICOLE DISAPPOINT ME SO??? how cud she pick dexter over tiger and leroy over elaine..and paula chose intensity over the ansa and the 2 lil boys who f***ed up riri’s song over 4shore>> seriously? dumb b****es!

the results were supposed 2 b..
simon…drew, caitlin ,jazzlyn , rachel and melanie
LA….philip, chris rene, marcus and tim da country guy
( i luv astro alot 2 but only 4 must go :(

paula…4shore, lakoda rayne, stereo hogz and THE ANSA
nicole…stacy, elaine, tiger and josh!!!

wAT A F**KIN DISAPPOINtMENT!!!

i wish they wud go back and change there decisions

PAULA SAY A VIE SALOP! EE ECK NICOLE JUMMET!! SOUSAY LOLO…..LA REID TET BODA and SIMON SOCKIST!

October 23, 2011 at 2:27 am
(96) BIG CYAT says:

PAULA SAY A VIEUX SAC SALOP EE ECK NICOLE JUMMET!! LA REID TETE BODA N SIMONE IS A SOCKIST!!

October 23, 2011 at 2:28 am
(97) GWEN PAPAW says:

TET BODA LA REID…NIOCLE JUMMET

SIMONE SOCKIST AN PAULA JOMBIE SAC SALOP

October 23, 2011 at 2:31 am
(98) GWEN PAPAW says:

WAT THE F#K WAs THAT ABOUT!!! HOW CUD F#KIN PAULA AND NICOLE DISAPPOINT ME SO??? how cud she pick dexter over tiger and leroy over elaine..and paula chose intensity over the ansa and the 2 lil boys who f#ked up riri’s song over 4shore>> seriously? dumb bitches!

I REALLY FEEL FOR TIGER! he has a family to tek care of and no muny

the results were supposed 2 b..
simon…drew, caitlin ,jazzlyn , rachel and melanie
LA….philip, chris rene, marcus and tim da country guy
( i luv astro alot 2 but only 4 must go :(

paula…4shore, lakoda rayne, stereo hogz and THE ANSA
nicole…stacy, elaine, tiger and josh!!!

wAT A F#KIN DISAPPOINtMENT!!!
those judges need to change there results!!

October 23, 2011 at 2:33 am
(99) LOLO MAMAW says:

WAT THE hell WAs THAT ABOUT!!! HOW CUD F…in PAULA AND NICOLE DISAPPOINT ME SO??? how cud she pick dexter over tiger and leroy over elaine..and paula chose intensity over the ansa and the 2 lil boys who f*ked up riri’s song over 4shore>> seriously? dumb b*tches!

I REALLY FEEL FOR TIGER! he has a family to tek care of and no muny

the results were supposed 2 b..
simon…drew, caitlin ,jazzlyn , rachel and melanie
LA….philip, chris rene, marcus and tim da country guy
( i luv astro alot 2 but only 4 must go :(

paula…4shore, lakoda rayne, stereo hogz and THE ANSA
nicole…stacy, elaine, tiger and josh!!!

wAT A FREAwKIN DISAPPOINtMENT!!!
those judges need to change there results!!

October 23, 2011 at 12:08 pm
(100) Is a money game says:

You people do not understand. This show is about finding another Justin Beaver. Is about money. Is about finding an artist that generates the millions. It has nothing to do with performance or a great voice. It has all to do with getting the air heads spend their 80$ to buy an album or cd and we all know the air heads abound. I guarantee you that despite Frankie Cocozza being the lest talented in the UK x factor competition, is the one that`s gonna win because he gets the air heads to scream for him and to ask for autographs and that`s what is all about. Money.

October 23, 2011 at 1:05 pm
(101) NoLongerWatching says:

Jazzlyn Little and Brennin Hunt being eliminated make this show a complete joke. Had the voting been placed in the hands of any audience, Jazzlyn and Brennin would not only have been selected, but they would have likely been the top 1 and 2 rated contestants. Millions of viewers won’t watch this show now, and that’s that.

October 23, 2011 at 5:19 pm
(102) Mabel says:

I will not be watching the series, I turned off after Jazzlyn was eliminated. Poor kid might have been nervous but had the best recording voice.

October 23, 2011 at 9:39 pm
(103) Cathy says:

I didn’t get suckered in by Simon’s stunt. He knew all along that she had the most talent — that is why he collapsed in his chair after hearing her audition at the judge’s house. He was just creating drama and excitement on the show.

Plus, he needs Simone for the “contestant we love to hate” role, so he wanted 5 instead of 4 picks (she doesn’t have the talent to win it).

October 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm
(104) JAC says:

im disgusted with this show. i loved this show, would actually get excited when it was coming on because im so tired of American Idol. but keeping those crappy brewer boys and letting go of the Anser and 4Sure?!?!? after Paula told 4Sure that they were done i turned my TV off. im done with this show..

November 5, 2011 at 2:45 pm
(105) jana says:

josh josh josj KRAJCIK, i love you