1. Entertainment

Bill Lamb

fun's "We Are Young" Surges In Sales Following Chevy Sonic Super Bowl Commercial

By February 6, 2012

Will pop radio programmers finally be paying attention to the power behind "We Are Young" by indie pop band fun? Don't hold your breath, but obviously a few viewers of Chevy Sonic's daredevil Super Bowl commercial were paying attention to the song playing. As expected, Madonna and LMFAO are seeing surging sales in the wake of their performances on the Super Bowl halftime show. However, they are not the only ones. Following its appearance providing the soundtrack for the Chevy Sonic ad, fun's "We Are Young" is in the top 10 on iTunes' digital single sales chart. It has also surged into the top 10 at Amazon.

"We Are Young," with its towering anthemic sound, was picked as the top new song of the week here when initially released last September. It climbed to #15 on the alternative songs chart. In December Glee featured the song and that appearance ultimately resulted in "We Are Young" hitting #53 on the Billboard Hot 100. It is time for pop radio to take notice that this is a song that is not going away.

• Watch Chevy Sonic Super Bowl commercial

Single cover courtesy Fueled By Ramen

Comments

February 6, 2012 at 1:27 pm
(1) Jeff says:

Funny the glee version of We are Young also got a big bump form the commercial.

It was like at 18o’s bummed up to 187.

February 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm
(2) Jeff says:

sorry glee version got bumped up to #87 in itunes.

February 6, 2012 at 2:57 pm
(3) Lee says:

This is a fab song – one of the best I have heard in a long time. Already downloaded it. One of those songs that you have to hear only once to know it is brilliant.

February 6, 2012 at 10:35 pm
(4) Me says:

When I saw this commercial, I was so happy for Nate Ruess. I loved his last band, The Format & they never really got the recognition they deserved. Hopefully, with this song featured on this commercial, great things are in their future- artistically & financially!

February 8, 2012 at 2:30 am
(5) Don Mateo says:

You’re right, Bill – radio is sleeping on a #1 hit here.

February 12, 2012 at 9:19 am
(6) Erin says:

Its a shame that it takes a commercial to launch a great song…my boyfriend and I spontaneously burst into raucous singing at our Super Bowl party when that commercial came on. Because we both love that song. The radio, especially here in NY, has really been a big let down for the entire indie and rock music community. We NEED some new stations! All you can find here is pop, hip hop, and oldies. Its a real shame.

February 12, 2012 at 9:52 pm
(7) Kristina says:

I LOVED The Format and I’m glad Nate is finally getting the recognition he deserves in this new project. So much talent.