2012 was another record setting year for single sales. 1.336 billion singles were sold in 2012, a 5% increase over the old record set in 2011. Leading the pack of best selling songs was Gotye's alternative pop breakthrough "Somebody That I Used To Know." It sold nearly seven million copies setting a new record for the most copies sold in a single year. In fact, the top three songs all beat the old record of 5.81 million set by Adele's "Rolling In the Deep." Two artists, fun and Maroon 5, each placed two songs in the year's top 10 selling songs. Check out the full list of the top 10 below.
Top Singles of the Year
- Gotye featuring Kimbra - "Somebody That I Used To Know"
- Carly Rae Jepsen - "Call Me Maybe"
- fun featuring Janelle Monae - "We Are Young"
- Maroon 5 featuring Wiz Khalifa - "Payphone"
- Nicki Minaj - "Starships"
- One Direction - "What Makes You Beautiful"
- fun - "Some Nights"
- Kelly Clarkson - "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)"
- Psy - "Gangnam Style"
- Maroon 5 - "One More Night"
Single cover courtesy Universal Republic