MTV was hoping to feature the comeback of the year if not the decade. However, today's Britney Spears stiffly going through the dance motions amid writhing male and female dancers while her new release "Gimme More" played pales next to the Britney of old. While this grand opening was a letdown, it should not take away from other fine performances. Chris Brown demonstrated he is growing up and is now not only limber, but sexy as well. Rihanna's legs are a wonder to behold, and Fall Out Boy know how to turn on the energy in a crowded club atmosphere. Let's also not forget the big winner of the night. Mr. Justin Timberlake proved he has matured into one of the most talented artists in the business and he and his music took home 4 awards.
In an effort to boost ratings, MTV tried a somewhat radical shift in the way the awards show was put together this year. The awards themselves were handed out in a ballroom filled with VIP's seated at tables while elsewhere in the Palms Resort 3 separate parties carried on. Unfortunately, the parties felt like watching other people having a great time while you had to be content to press your nose against the glass and wish you were there. Also, it seemed as if the move to Las Vegas caused many stars to stay home on either coast and watch from afar. If the awards are to continue next year, let's go back to a real awards format with real spectacle.
Top 5 Live Performances
- Chris Brown and Rihanna - "Wall to Wall," "Umbrella," "Kiss Kiss"
- Fall Out Boy - "Thnks fr th Mmrs"
- Justin Timberlake - "LoveStoned"
- Maroon 5 - "Wake Up Call"
Complete List of Winners
- Video of the Year - Rihanna featuring Jay-Z "Umbrella"
- Male Artist of the Year - Justin Timberlake
- Female Artist of the Year - Fergie
- Best Group - Fall Out Boy
- Best New Artist - Gym Class Heroes
- Most Earthshattering Collaboration - Beyonce and Shakira - Beautiful Liar
- Quadruple Threat of the Year - Justin Timberlake
- Monster Single of the Year - Rihanna featuring Jay-Z "Umbrella"
- Best Director - Justin Timberlake "What Goes Around...Comes Around" directed by Samuel Bayer
- Best Editing in a Video - Gnarls Barkley "Smiley Faces" edited by Ken Mowe
- Best Choreography in a Video - Justin Timberlake featuring T.I. "My Love" choreographed by Marty Kuldeka