The MTV Video Music Awards are one of the three major pop music awards events of the year. The awards will be telecast live from Radio City Music Hall in New York, Sunday, September 13, 2009 on MTV.
My predictions are simply that...predictions. It will be up to the voters to choose the actual winners. My predicted winner in each category is in bold type. I have included comments on each nominee. I am making predictions only in the 5 top award categories. Check the full listing of nominations to see who is up for awards in every category.
Best Male Video
- Eminem - "We Made You" - Eminem's video for "We Made You" seems just too close to being a parody of past hits like "Without Me." We can still crack a smile here and there, but the originality is gone.
- Jay-Z - "D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune)" - It came out too late, but "Run This Town" is a much stronger video achievement for Jay-Z. This doesn't look like the year for Hova.
- Ne-Yo - "Miss Independent" - Ne-Yo could squeak in to a victory. With his sharp style of dressing, almost every Ne-Yo video looks elegant.
- T.I. (featuring Rihanna) - "Live Your Life" - It seems like ages since the single first came out, but "Live Your Life" is still stunning. I suspect there will be some sympathy voting for Rihanna as well, and I look for T.I. to walk home with the trophy.
- Kanye West - "Love Lockdown" - In terms of artistic daring, Kanye's video for "Love Lockdown" would be a shoo-in. However, watching it is still a rather confusing experience.
Female Artist of the Year
- Beyonce - "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" - Even in an exceptionally strong category this year Beyonce's video is a standout. This dance clip was in instant classic inspiring both a Saturday Night Live parody and a famous attempt at the dance by one of the Jonas Brothers. This will be a video watched for years to come.
- Kelly Clarkson - "My Life Would Suck Without You" - Kelly Clarkson made a strong return, but the video isn't stunning which is what it takes to win this category this year.
- Lady GaGa - "Poker Face" - There should be a special award simply for the visual of Lady GaGa emerging from the water in this clip. However, that one segment isn't enough to carry the entire video to victory.
- Katy Perry - "Hot and Cold" - Katy Perry videos are always fun, and "Waking Up In Vegas" was even better than this. Brilliant color and humor make this a well-deserved nomination.
- Pink - "So What" - I'm not sure any pop artist has really given a more entertaining video sendoff to their marriage than Pink does here.
- Taylor Swift - "You Belong With Me" - Hands down, Taylor Swift wins the title for cutest video of the year. This is a charming mini-film about a teen romance.
Best Pop Video
- Beyonce - "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" - This video exhibits all that a pop video should be. It's a catchy song, great dancing, and you are riveted on the star Beyonce from beginning to end.
- Cobra Starship featuring Leighton Meester - "Good Girls Go Bad" - Cobra Starship finally had their pop breakthrough this year, but it isn't powerful enough to stop the Beyonce bandwagon.
- Lady GaGa - "Poker Face" - This video is filled with some of the more memorable pop images of the year, and Lady GaGa is certainly the breakout artist of the year. However, the video simply doesn't hold up all the way through as the best.
- Britney Spears - "Womanizer" - This is one of the very best videos of Britney Spears' career. As such it could very well give Beyonce a run for her money.
- Wisin and Yandel - "Abusadora" - This is the first Spanish language video ever nominated in this category. That alone makes this appearance a triumph, but not quite enough oomph to win the category.