The American Music Awards (AMA) were created by Dick Clark in 1973 to compete directly with the Grammy Awards. The AMA are now considered one of the music industry's top 3 most prestigious awards alongside the Grammys and the MTV Video Music Awards. This is a list of the top 10 leaders in nominations through the years in Pop-Rock categories. The awards they have won are listed as well.
1. Mariah Carey
- 1993 - Favorite Female Artist
- 1995 - Favorite Female Artist
- 1996 - Favorite Female Artist
Mariah Carey has the undisputed lead in AMA Pop-Rock nominations. An interesting piece of trivia is that Carey lost the 1990 award for Favorite New Artist to none other than Vanilla Ice.
2. Michael Jackson
- 1984 - Favorite Male Artist, Favorite Single ("Billie Jean"), Favorite Album (Thriller)
- 1993 - Favorite Album (Dangerous)
- 1996 - Favorite Male Artist
Michael Jackson has received more AMA nominations than any other male artist. His three pop-rock nominations this year moved him up into second place all-time overall.
3. Whitney Houston
- 1987 - Favorite Female Artist, Favorite Album (Whitney Houston)
- 1988 - Favorite Female Artist, Favorite Single ("I Wanna Dance With Somebody")
- 1989 - Favorite Female Artist
- 1994 - Favorite Female Artist, Favorite Single ("I Will Always Love You"), Favorite Album (The Bodyguard Soundtrack)
Whitney Houston has won more Pop-Rock AMA's (8) than any other artist.
- 1977 - Favorite Album (Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975)
- 1981 - Favorite Band, Duo, or Group
- 1996 - Favorite Band, Duo, or Group, Favorite Album (Hell Freezes Over)
The Eagles lead the pack of groups in AMA Pop-Rock nominations. They are among the few artists to receive nominations in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.
5. Janet Jackson
- 1991 - Favorite Female Artist
- 2002 - Favorite Female Artist
Janet Jackson is an artist who has the possibility to challenge Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey for all-time honors in the future.
6. Elton John
- 1977 - Favorite Male Artist, Favorite Single ("Don't Go Breaking My Heart")
Elton John's only 2 victories took place in 1977 when "Don't Go Breaking My Heart," a duet with Kiki Dee, was one of the biggest hit singles of the year. However, he has racked up a number of nominations scattered over subsequent years.
Madonna holds the dubious distinction of being the most nominated artist in Pop-Rock categories without a victory. This is one of the few achievements in the music industry she has missed. In contrast to her AMA failures, she has racked up 5 Grammy Awards through the years.
8. Olivia Newton-John
- 1975 - Favorite Female Artist, Favorite Single ("I Honestly Love You")
- 1976 - Favorite Female Artist, Favorite Album (Have You Never Been Mellow)
- 1977 - Favorite Female Artist
- 1983 - Favorite Female Artist
Olivia Newton-John was one of the dominant female artists in the early years of the AMA's. She often competed against Helen Reddy for top honors.
9. Celine Dion
- 1998 - Favorite Female Artist
- 1999 - Favorite Female Artist
Celine Dion was a serious competitor for all-time honors until she announced an early retirement. Now she is on the comeback trail.