The Bottom Line
- The deliriously joyful high notes on "Emotions"
- Proof the first album was no fluke
- The gospel influence on "If It's Over"
- Occasional vocal range overkill
- Mostly lightweight, fluffy songs
- Tight production and performances sparkle.
- Mariah's vocal range here is stunning.
- The string of #1 hit singles was extended by this album to 5 - an all-time record for a new artist.
Guide Review - Mariah Carey 'Emotions'
If anything, this album tightened up some of the loose ends from the first and delivered a very tight collection of uptempo dance music with soulful ballads. The title song is one of Mariah's catchiest songs complete with upper range vocal excursions that can give a listener chills. This album is a showcase for her vocal talent.
"Emotions," the title track of the album, extended Mariah's streak of #1 singles to 5. No other recording artist has topped the pop singles chart with their first 5 singles. Every song here is worth hearing and some, like "Emotions" and the gospel-inflected "If It's Over" stand with Mariah Carey's best.