Punk originated in the mid-1970's as a raucous, underground rebellion against mainstream pop music. Bands like Green Day
, the Offspring, and Rancid helped bring punk back in the mid-1990's. This time the blend of fast, simple rock with catchy pop melodies took hold on radio and MTV. Today, so-called punk pop is a key element in the world of mainstream pop music. These 10 albums are the best starting points to get to know punk pop.
1. blink-182 - Enema Of the State
never-ending attempt to offend any adults in the vicinity, this album featured a model dressed as an enema nurse on the cover. The music inside is adolescent and catchy including the massive hit single "All the Small Things."
2. The Donnas - Spend the NightGirls can play punk, too, and this album is abundant proof of the fact. The group modeled themselves after the Ramones with every member going by the name Donna.
3. Good Charlotte - Young and the HopelessGood Charlotte blasted into the top 10 of the pop album chart with this set. It's filled with tales of high school and problem parents. The big hit track is "Lifestyles Of the Rich and Famous."
4. Green Day - American Idiot
After fading from their mid-90's peak of popularity, Green Day
retreated to the studio to put together punk's first rock opera. Although the band was nervous about their fan's reaction to American Idiot
, it turned out to be an American rock classic topping the album chart and winning a Grammy award for Best Rock Album of 2004.
5. The Lemonheads - It's a Shame About RayThe Lemonheads' lead singer Evan Dando is the only punk musician to become a true teen heartthrob. Along the way the band recorded some outstanding music, too, including "It's a Shame About Ray" and "Mrs. Robinson" on this album.
6. The Offspring - SmashThe Offspring were one of the original punk revival bands from the mid-90's. Frequently their music bordered on hard rock and heavy metal, but their best music is pure punk. "Come Out and Play" and "Self Esteem" are standouts on this album.
7. Rancid - And Out Come the WolvesRancid sound a lot like such late 70's classic punk bands as the Clash. They also incorporate the sound of ska in much of their music.
8. Simple Plan - Still Not Getting Any...This Canadian group appeared in the spotlight in 2002 with their album No Pads, No Helmets...Just Balls. This second album is even better and includes the hit single "Welcome To My Life."
9. Sum 41 - All Killer No FillerThe single "Fat Lip" helped propel this album into the pop top 20. Sum 41 inject clever humor into much of their music.
10. Weezer - Weezer (Blue Album)Although they are revered as founders of the "emo" genre, Weezer's music is also pure punk pop in style. "Undone - The Sweater Song" was their first hit and then a video putting the band in a Happy Days episode helped make "Buddy Holly" even more popular.