From the article: Top 40 Pop Songs Of All Time
What do you think are the best pop songs ever recorded? Share your favorites and tell us why you feel that way. These are the songs that you return to over and over as the best in pop music. Share Your Favorites
- This list is flawed beyond comprehension. There is no Mariah Carey...the woman has had 18 #1 hits.
- —Guest Guest Jared
- Of course something like this is completely subjective and one could pick any number of songs out of a hat and it would be just fine. To me what this points out is how much radio and mainstream media defined for so many years what was "pop". Now that radio is so niche and the rest of big media is becoming more fragmented all of the time, you wonder how many pop "standards" will ever be created moving forward? Consider this: the last original Christmas "standard" (a song you can expect to hear every year multiple times) was recorded nearly 20 years ago!
- —Guest Rick
Ummmm forgetting Sir Elton John?????
- Why in the world is Elton John not on this list?!?!?
- —Guest Iloverock
Take on Me
- Absolute classic from a very underrated and misunderstood pop group.
- —Guest Ryan
A great list - here's mine
- 10 Thunderclap Newman-something in the air; 9-Nazareth-Love Hurts; 8-ELO-Mr. Blue Sky; 7-Sweet-Ballroom Blitz; 6-Mud-Rocket; 5-The Beatles-Help; 4-Blue Oyster Cult-Don't fear the reaper; 3-John Lennon-Imagine; 2-Al Stewart-Modern Times; 1-Eagles-Hotel California
- —Guest Martin
i want it that way
- you should definitely consider i want it that way by backstreet boys.it is one of the greatest pop songs of modern era.the key change in the song is one of the best moments in pop music history
- —Guest sru
- My all time favorites??? Let's see. I'll share my top 20. #20 "I Know A Place-Petula Clark #19-Leavin On Your Mind-Parsy Cline #18-I Love You For All Seasons #17-Your Precious Love-Gaye/Terrell #16-Who's Loving You-The Jackson 5 #15Branded Man-Merle Haggard #14-Moody River-Pat Boone #13-I Want To Get Next To You-Rose Royce #12-Emotiopns-Brenda Lee #11-At Seventeen-Janis Ian #10Elusive Butterfly-Bob Lind #9-Too Late To Turn Back Now-Cornelius Bros. & Sis Rose #08- Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues-Danny O'Keefe #7- Baby Dont Go-Sonny & Cher #6- Walk Like A Man-4 Seasons 5-Donna, The Prima Donna #4-I Was Made To Love Her-Stevie Wonder #3-Rhythym Of The Rain-The Cascades #2-Blame It On The Bossa Nova-Eydie Gorme #1-Sugar, Sugar-The Archies
- —Guest Chris
Needs some deletions
- I would take out: Imagine Yesterday Strangers in the Night (Would be on the worst list) Add: The Fray - "How to Save a Life"
- —Guest Sam
Some odd choices but GREAT LIST!
- I actually do agree with britney spears being on the list two times. Toxic redefined the dance-pop genre and ...baby one more time is now considered a classic. BSB should be here though. And Bon Jovi, Whitney Houston, Madonna, Janet Jackson should be on the list more. i would take out some of the rock songs to make this list a truly pop list.
- —Guest Matthew
- Michael Jackson has only Billy Jean when he is the very best in Pop artist, it's just a joke... specially since you have Kelly Clarckson, and Britney Spears above MJ!! you deserve a kick in the balls, LOL besides, there is a lot of rock songs, how do you define pop music?
- —Guest Eduardo
- Uh, Ray of Light? Come on, srsly. Vogue, Like a Prayer, Papa Don't Preach are much better candidates and more iconic.
- —Guest A.
- "Nude" by radiohead has got to be in this list! What about "Secretly" by Skunk Anansie???
- —Guest Krystle
- I think this seriously depends on what you consider to be "pop" music. Many of the artists mentioned in the reader responses are not at all what I'd consider "pop." People are also responding with their own set of musical biases in mind rather than what would truly be considered "best" (and any number of lists can be made depending on your own definition of what it means to be "best" where music is concerned). To the silly person who said no one will remember Britney Spears in 20 years...I think that's what they were saying 15 years ago when she debuted. 15 years later she's still releasing music. Nice try though. I'll echo what someone else said though. Where the hell is "I Want It That Way"? Top single off of what remains to be one of the top selling albums of all time? Pop album, no less.
- —Guest Cindy
- I'm afraid this is a very silly list. Not sure how you're defining "pop", but even allowing for that, there's far too much '90s and '00s dross, far too many personal preferences (who the HELL are The Impressions?) - and most importantly, where on earth is the obviously-best-song-of-all-time, Bohemian Rhapsody?
- —Guest MC Miker G
Pop or Rock?
- Funny how the top 5 of the beatles, the rolling stones and john lennon are all pure rock and roll.
- —Guest Max
1-15 of 54Next